• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Emerg Services Stress for the stressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for suggestions on how folks diagnosed with ptsd are able to deal with stress. Going through a rough patch and it's hard to see a clear picture. We adopted a dog about 2 yrs ago Ive become especially close with. It has become an informal emotional therapy buddy for me. He's developed a dislike toward my spouse and she has told me he has to go because she is scared of him. My marriage is one sided and that also causes me stress besides having to give up the dog. How does one cope with stress after being knocked down over and over?

No ideas on stress in general. But two things:

1. Marriage counseling

2. Dog trainer

3. Personally my dog comes before any partner I may have cause I’m weird like that and I don’t apologize for it.

But if she’s genuinely scared of your dog, a dog trainer will go a long way to helping out- your partner will need to be present for the training as it’s a concerted effort and the more they’re involved the more the fear will be reduced.

I tried the trainer. He evaluated the dog and said he has some fear aggression, but he is fine with me. Spouse is unwilling to work with him. Been to counseling before and no results. :(

... Therapist on dog issues for the wife?

So she works it through, doesn't upset the dog, which in turn helps you feel better, which helps communicating with her?

Or try out different counselors?
Some times the first many people are hit and miss but a good match
able to help both partners can be found later.

Possibly figuring more what's stressing the poor animal?

Fear aggression is absolutely overcome-able, not sure if that’s a word but whatever. But your spouse has got to get on board with it. It’s got to be teamwork, raising a pet is much like raising a child, you have to work together. Same with the marriage, it’s a team effort and if someone isn’t willing to pull their weight, then they don’t get to be a part of the time. Probably too harsh for your situation but ugh sorry it drives me nuts when a dog has an issue that is perfectly trainable and people want to just throw in the towel. Not mad at you, just in general.

He’s more than likely feeling her stress and reacting to it, there’s several videos on YouTube you can learn from if she’s really adamant about not working with a trainer ?. Victoria if It’s Me Or The Dog is fantastic and so is Cesar Milan, he’s been a tad controversial in some things but he is really great at issues like this. Another one, Jackson Galaxy, he works with cats so it’s a bit different but things like fear aggression work very similarly.

I'm looking for suggestions on how folks diagnosed with ptsd are able to deal with stress. Going through a rough patch and it's hard to see a clear picture. We adopted a dog about 2 yrs ago Ive become especially close with. It has become an informal emotional therapy buddy for me. He's developed a dislike toward my spouse and she has told me he has to go because she is scared of him. My marriage is one sided and that also causes me stress besides having to give up the dog. How does one cope with stress after being knocked down over and over?

I agree with @Annalyn78 to pay a dog trainer-some will come to the house and that could be very helpful, and couples therapy. If you get rid of the dog you find comfort in, you didn't solve the problem....you just created distance in your relationship....and maybe resentment....cause now you are out a buddy. If the dog has not harmed her, and just barks, and she is afraid of the dog-or doesn't want to deal with the dog......go get help......

Yeah....no one will tell me to get rid of my cat.....and I'd do it....she is quiet, nonjudgemental, emotionally connected, and patient.....unlike my x husband. The person can leave before I give my cat away.

I don’t know if guilt tripping your spouse into being willing to work with training is okay with you or not but- you can remind your spouse that with the dog having fear aggression he will be put down. His chances of being adopted out with that is extremely low and shelters just don’t have the funding to get him the training needed.

They can cost a little more around here but more often than not they will be willing to work out deals. Not to mention, we just came out of a nasty quarantine that had them out of work so you can probably find some just wanting to get back to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back