Stress responses and weight loss/ lumen

Mee

MyPTSD Pro
I recently was given a Lumen device and have signed up to monitor my metabolism and see what’s going on .

It’s incredible to see the impact a startle response, for example, has on whether the body is burning fat or available carbohydrates.

While I understood that being In a physiological state of stress was not healthy ( Let alone conducive to weight loss) and in fact many , many years ago researched this area academically ( not in human subjects) actually looking at stats real time is mind blowing and also strangely soothing .

I was wondering if anyone else had tried this? I thought chances might be small as it’s such an expensive little gadget and personally I could not be doing this had I not been given the device, but we are all in different circumstances:)

PlainJane

I have Lumen. I use it for my training and IF.

I am going to have to pay closer attention to it now that you have mentioned it. I have another device I use for sleep, that has been incredibly validating. So, I have a lot of stats to compare my lumen results to. It would be interesting to see how it all looks stacked up.

Mee

MyPTSD Pro
I have Lumen. I use it for my training and IF.

I am going to have to pay closer attention to it now that you have mentioned it. I have another device I use for sleep, that has been incredibly validating. So, I have a lot of stats to compare my lumen results to. It would be interesting to see how it all looks stacked up.
I have a cpap and it’s actually shocking me how little uninterrupted sleep I get. I was given the cpap during the pandemic. The sleep study produced confusing results to those interpreting it and I explained I had PTSD and they said - oh right, yeah , that makes sense. Cpap may or may not help/ let’s try it. It does help when I can bear wearing v it - even if it’s just trough the day 😳😳😳.

I use a sleep app too but it’s not very accurate compared to the cpap records.

I’m really hopeful I can improve my physical state or at least comfort with greater understanding and using these tools

barefoot

Sponsor
I haven't heard of this but will look it up.

So stress/ startle responses etc all hinder weight loss?

I need to lose weight but find it so hard these days....my sweet tooth and want for sugar, being in peri menopause, not being able to exercise much with a chronic health condition...so the stress factor is also interesting...

(Sorry - nothing useful to add here, but I appreciate your posting about it as this is new to me!)
ETA: the lumen in particular being new to me....not the realisation that stress isn't good for us ;-)

Last edited:

Mee

MyPTSD Pro
I haven't heard of this but will look it up.

So stress/ startle responses etc all hinder weight loss?

I need to lose weight but find it so hard these days....my sweet tooth and want for sugar, being in peri menopause, not being able to exercise much with a chronic health condition...so the stress factor is also interesting...

(Sorry - nothing useful to add here, but I appreciate your posting about it as this is new to me!)
Well it depends 😂.

It’s really complicated and my head isn’t in the game yet -

But stress can ( and in certain places in the body ) . For example, in health conditions where the body produces too much cortisol ( a ‘stress’ hormone) , like Cushings, fat is retained around the abdomen, the base of the neck area . ( not like a beer belly )

While I obviously wouldn’t share data from Lumen just as I would not from here people have shared really interesting experiences. The Lumen device measures the CO2 in the outbreath to determine if you are burning fat or carbs . It’s not foolproof. It cannot differentiate ketosis for example. But there are interesting anecdotes like people showing they are reading ‘fat burn ‘ then having a shock and being at the opposite end of the scale. ( neither is bad and this is not to do with PTSD, but obviously some of us are Experiencing ‘shock’ more than the average person and high rates of physiological stress.

Magnolia

New Here
I've been thinking a lot about my weight and how stress could be preventing me from reaching my goal. Living in a near constant state of anxiety and losing weight are not condusive.

I was pre-diabetic 3 years ago. Now i am eating 1800 calories per day, low carb, no dairy; but I have a thyroid condition and of course, CPTSD. I lost 30 lbs initially, then gained 10 back, and now I am hovering around the 300 mark and stuck.

I'm sure others can relate.