• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Stroking Your Pet Eases Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_Fraser

MyPTSD Pro
Hi folks, I find that if I'm stressed out, my dog tends to know what is wrong and comes up to me and puts his paw on my knee as if to say. Its ok calm down.
I find that stroking my dog eases my tensions and stresses, and I feel calmer.
I used to have a black cat and stroking him eased a lot of stress as well. The sound of a cat purring on your knee is very soothing.
Psycologists and doctors agree that having a pet like a dog or cat is good for helping to reduce stress levels, simply by just stroking them.
Scott

Hmmm, I think some days having a puppy in the household adds to stress! Nothing like seeing your puppy in the vegie patch & chasing him around to find out how the little bugga got in there!
I must admit that when hubby is cuddling him, I do see a calmness come over him.
Let's face it your going to get more love & understanding from your pet than your partner or kids at times!LOL!

That's true, a dog will never let you down, people do, think of that. But seriously having a dog resting its head on your knee, is very theraputic and stress relieving. Only thing is, don't try it with a rotwieller or mastiff, I never trust those dogs.
Scott

My Great Dane holds me together when my world is falling apart.... She is an angel from heaven : )

I am a HUGE believer in the power of pets. As a child, when my mother would put me through hell I had a burmese cat who would always, no matter what, jump onto my bed at night and snuggle down into the covers with me. His purr was the most soothing sound in the world. I would tell him my thoughts and secrets. When I left to join the Army, my biggeset regret was leaving him....it was like leaving a soul-mate. He must have had good kharma as he lived until he was 20 years old....I had my own kids by then !

Now I have 2 dogs ad 3 cats. I can't say that the dogs really relieve my stress, other than they are great walking/exercise companions and if they are allowed insie the will loyally sit next to me. The cats however are brilliant. Billy (burmese) has taken on my son as his soul-mate. Heidi (tonkinese) is my husbands (she sits on his lap every night and sleeps on his feet). I think she has aided his ptsd stress a bit. When things were really bad for me and W and I left him the first time I bought a siamese kitten and I truly believe that she is my soul-mate. She is definitely MY cat......follows me around, talks to me in that siamese meow....sits on my lap as soon as I sit down....sleeps with me every night. I was sick in bed once for 3 days and she never left my side except to eat and go to her litter bowl.

I believe, as does Alison Dubois (lady who sees dead people) that pets go to heaven (she has seen them)....so I believe when I get up to heaven, all my deceased pets will be waiting for me, lovingly, and we will be able to converse via our souls.

a common night sleep

:dont-know Like almost every night I woke up 4 times bexause of pain in one part or another part of my body ,,, I even have a 1500$ matterass ,,
But I don.t have night mares ,, A bit tired ,,nothing coffe won't fix and yaaaah It's snowing ,,, I will go sking with my Daughter and 2 other friends Tomorrow ,,,, :clap: :loopy: Beatle Bailey

still out there

you know Scott I agree ,,, altho I don't have a pet ,, really should have one ,,, love animals , most like me right back ,, most all pets just want love and give it back every time
Beatle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back