• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Structural Dissociation

Can you tell me what you know about what structural dissociation is?
Certainly, @shimmerz. Structural dissociation is a psychological concept that describes how the mind can split into different parts or identities as a result of traumatic experiences. This splitting can occur as a defense mechanism to keep the individual from feeling overwhelmed by the trauma.

In structural dissociation, there are usually two distinct parts: the "apparently normal part" (ANP) and the "emotional part" (EP). The ANP is responsible for everyday functioning and is typically unaware of the traumatic memories or emotions stored in the EP. The EP is usually responsible for emotions, including fear, anger, and sadness, and is responsible for keeping memories of traumatic experiences.

When a person experiences a trigger, it can cause an EP to emerge, which often results in dissociative symptoms such as feeling detached from reality or even amnesia for the event. Some people with structural dissociation may have multiple identities, also called alters, which are distinct personality states that can manifest in different ways.

It is important to note that structural dissociation is a different concept than dissociative identity disorder (DID), which is a diagnosis given when the splitting of identity results in the creation of separate, distinct personalities that take control of a person's behavior. However, DID is often viewed as a severe form of structural dissociation.

Does this help answer your question, @shimmerz? Let me know if you have any more questions.

Some people with structural dissociation may have multiple identities, also called alters, which are distinct personality states that can manifest in different ways.

It is important to note that structural dissociation is a different concept than dissociative identity disorder (DID), which is a diagnosis given when the splitting of identity results in the creation of separate, distinct personalities that take control of a person's behavior.
The above two seem to conflict. Can you explain how an alter and a distinct personality differ.
However, DID is often viewed as a severe form of structural dissociation.
So then does this mean that DID and (Structural Dissociation) SD are both formed in the same way?

Is SD still a theory?

I apologize, @shimmerz. I see that my previous response was cut off. To expand on what I was saying, while not everyone with structural dissociation will develop distinct personalities, some people may experience this. In these cases, the alters may have their own unique traits, mannerisms, and memories. These personalities can alternate control over the individual's behavior, leading to dissociative amnesia or gaps in time that can be difficult to explain. It is important to keep in mind that not everyone with structural dissociation will experience dissociative identity disorder, but it is one possible outcome. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, @shimmerz!

The above two seem to conflict. Can you explain how an alter and a distinct personality differ.
I apologize for the confusion, @shimmerz. The terms "alter" and "distinct personality" are often used interchangeably when referring to dissociative identity disorder (DID) and are used to describe unique personalities that exist within the same individual.

In the context of structural dissociation, an "emotional part" (EP) may also be considered an alter, but this does not necessarily mean that the individual has DID. In structural dissociation, the EP is a separate identity that is responsible for storing and experiencing emotions related to trauma, but it does not have the same distinct personality characteristics as an alter in DID.

In DID, alters are often more distinct from each other in terms of personality traits, behaviors, and memories. They may have different names, genders, or ages, and they may exhibit unique likes, dislikes, and ways of interacting with others. Alters in DID can have their own personal history, beliefs, and feelings.

So, while both structural dissociation and DID can involve the fragmentation of identity, the extent and nature of that fragmentation can vary, with DID involving more distinct personalities or alters that are more distinct from each other.

I hope this explanation clears up any confusion, @shimmerz. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

So then does this mean that DID and (Structural Dissociation) SD are both formed in the same way?

Is SD still a theory?
Yes, both DID and SD involve the fragmentation of identity, but the extent and nature of that fragmentation can differ. Both are believed to result from chronic or repeated trauma experienced during childhood, in which an individual's mind creates separate parts or personalities to cope with overwhelming emotions and memories.

It is important to note that while DID is a recognized disorder in the DSM-5, structural dissociation is not. Structural dissociation is a theoretical model that attempts to explain how trauma can lead to dissociative symptoms and the fragmentation of identity.

The concept of structural dissociation has been developed and refined over the years by experts in the field of trauma psychology and psychiatry, and it has been used as a framework for understanding dissociative disorders, including DID. However, it is still considered a theoretical model and not a diagnostic category in and of itself.

That being said, many therapists and mental health professionals use the concept of structural dissociation to help diagnose and treat patients who have experienced trauma and dissociative symptoms.

I hope this clarifies some of your questions, @shimmerz. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Are the dissociative gaps the defining feature in DID as opposed to SD?
Dissociative amnesia and gaps in time are common features of DID, and they often serve as the defining features that distinguish it from other dissociative conditions such as structural dissociation (SD).

In DID, the dissociative gaps in time or memory occur when one or more of the separate identities or "alters" takes control of the individual's consciousness or behavior. During these gaps, other alters or the "apparently normal part" (ANP) may have no direct memory of what happened while the other identity was in control.

In contrast, individuals with SD may experience dissociative symptoms such as emotional numbing, depersonalization, or derealization, but they may not necessarily have the same distinct memory gaps or switches in identity as those with DID. SD refers more to the fragmentation of identity than specifically to the dissociative gaps in consciousness or memory.

It's worth noting, however, that some individuals may experience symptoms that are consistent with both DID and SD. In these cases, a mental health professional may use a combination of diagnostic criteria and clinical judgment to determine the most appropriate diagnosis and treatment plan.

I hope this helps clarify the differences between DID and SD, @shimmerz. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

If SD is not an actual disorder listed in the DSM - how does this condition generally get labeled by doctors?

If SD is not an actual disorder listed in the DSM - how does this condition generally get labeled by doctors?
While "structural dissociation" (SD) is not a specific diagnosis listed in the DSM-5, its principles have been used by some mental health professionals to understand and treat individuals with complex trauma and dissociative symptoms.

Instead of being used as a distinct label for diagnosis, the concept of structural dissociation has been incorporated into the understanding of dissociative disorders as a whole, such as dissociative identity disorder (DID) or complex post-traumatic stress disorder (C-PTSD).

For example, a mental health professional working with a patient with complex trauma might use the principles of structural dissociation to understand how the patient has developed emotional parts (EPs) or other ways of coping with overwhelming emotions and traumatic memories.

In a clinical setting, these parts or identities might be referred to as "aspects," "states," or "parts" of the patient, depending on the approach or theoretical orientation of the mental health professional. The priority is to understand the patient's unique experience and provide treatment that addresses their specific symptoms and needs.

Ultimately, the goal of using the principles of structural dissociation is to help patients understand their symptoms and develop coping strategies to manage their emotions and recover from trauma.

I hope this explanation helps, @shimmerz. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

I can't recall, is C-PTSD currently listed in the DSM as a disorder? If so, what are the parameters of this disorder?

I can't recall, is C-PTSD currently listed in the DSM as a disorder? If so, what are the parameters of this disorder?
Yes, Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD) is not yet officially recognized as a separate disorder in the DSM-5 but is often used by clinicians to describe a set of symptoms that some people may experience after prolonged or repeated exposure to trauma, especially during childhood.

C-PTSD is characterized by symptoms that go beyond those for PTSD, such as:

1. Difficulty regulating emotions, including feeling intense emotions such as shame, guilt or anger
2. Distorted self-image and sense of self-esteem
3. Relationship difficulties, including difficulty trusting others or forming close relationships
4. Dissociation, including feeling disconnected from oneself or the world around them

These symptoms can arise from long-term exposure to trauma or abuse, such as repeated emotional, physical or sexual abuse or neglect during childhood. Other factors, such as a history of developmental or attachment trauma, can also contribute to the development of C-PTSD.

Even though C-PTSD is not yet an official diagnosis in the DSM-5, mental health professionals may use this construct to diagnose and treat individuals who experience its symptoms. C-PTSD is often treated with similar approaches used in PTSD, such as trauma-focused therapy.

It's important to note that while C-PTSD is not officially recognized as a disorder in the DSM-5, it is recognized by other diagnostic systems, such as the International Classification of Diseases, 11th Revision (ICD-11), which includes C-PTSD as a separate diagnosis.

Can you explain the significance of C-PTSD being listed in the ICD-11 and not the DSM-5?
Certainly. The fact that Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD) is included in the International Classification of Diseases for Mortality and Morbidity Statistics, Eleventh Revision (ICD-11) is significant for several reasons.

Firstly, the ICD-11 is designed and published by the World Health Organization (WHO), a reputable international agency that provides guidance on public health issues. It serves as a universal standard for diagnostic tools used globally and helps to ensure consistency in the classification and diagnosis of medical conditions.

Secondly, the inclusion of C-PTSD in the ICD-11 provides recognition for the unique experiences of individuals who have suffered prolonged or repeated trauma, including childhood abuse or neglect.

Thirdly, listing C-PTSD as a separate diagnosis allows mental health professionals to better diagnose and treat individuals with this condition, ensuring that they receive appropriate care.

Lastly, the inclusion of C-PTSD in the ICD-11 has sparked conversations about whether it should be included as a separate diagnosis in future editions of the DSM, highlighting the importance of continued research and recognition of the symptoms associated with complex trauma.

Overall, the inclusion of C-PTSD in the ICD-11 is a step towards improving recognition, diagnosis, and treatment of trauma-related disorders globally.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back