struggling to stay positive working with super negative person

Sadderday

New Here
I'm a legal assistant in a small law office; about 10 people, only about 6 at a time. The receptionist is the most negative person I've ever met in my entire life, which says a lot since I grew up with a half-sister with zero self-esteem. Two of her favorite complaints are the weather and the day of the week; it's raining and I had to remind her today is Tuesday, but she's been on a roll all day. The problem is since I confessed my CPTSD, she's worse, as if she has a fellow miserable person to be miserable with! I have tried being subtle and being direct, but since it's her personality, she won't stop. What can I do to keep her cursing her out so she can stop bringing me down?!

Defaultxlove

MyPTSD Pro
Yeah it's tough I have stayed calm and patient with some super negative people.

What if you just bring it up. I believe if you have a problem with someone the best is to go to them directly. Sometimes people don't realize they are being in a type of way and a gentle push helps.

My T said sometimes she asks people if they are ok because they seem down. And it helps a lot.

Or you can just share what's helping you be more positive maybe?

Sadderday

New Here
Yeah it's tough I have stayed calm and patient with some super negative people.

What if you just bring it up. I believe if you have a problem with someone the best is to go to them directly. Sometimes people don't realize they are being in a type of way and a gentle push helps.

My T said sometimes she asks people if they are ok because they seem down. And it helps a lot.

Or you can just share what's helping you be more positive maybe?
I've do all of that every day, I swear! A perfect example today: she came in saying "morning, not good morning, just morning" and I said "it's a good morning to me because I'm in it!" she said "yeah, but..." and I walked away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freddyt

MyPTSD Pro
I've do all of that every day, I swear! A perfect example today: she came in saying "morning, not good morning, just morning" and I said "it's a good morning to me because I'm in it!" she said "yeah, but..." and I walked away.
I worked with a guy I called the "King of Negativity" for 20 years.

Walking away is great. Pounding them with positive is fun. Start thinking of it as a joke....learn to laugh at that stuff. Or beat them to the punch and go so negative they go positive. That works OK.

But walking away is the best. Just know they will never change and their negativity will eventually eat them up.....

Weemie

MyPTSD Pro
I'd like to think of myself as a positive person these days, so I try to look at it from the lens of it being a unique social interaction. She's depressed, feeling down, time to practice Being Supportive! I'm also a tad too direct at times so I'd probably just straight up ask her if something specific is bothering her, but I tend to get interested in people and their problems. Shruggie.

Maybe it's the art of being 31 going on 1031, but I find it makes life a lot easier to just accept people the way they are, know that you aren't going to change them, and patiently agree to stand beside them where they are. A lot of what's happening in your interactions seems to be the result of you pushing back and fighting against what you perceive is negativity intruding in on you, and that's understandable, but I think it'd be subjectively a lot easier to just kinda float with it.