• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Struggling with social anxiety disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people don't understand that social anxiety can be severe. I have lived my entire life and especially my childhood terrified of talking to people. Traumas probably started it when I was really young. Panic attacks are also traumatizing as a child, when no one helps you with it, and you are expected to deal with it alone, and cannot as a child. Now I am a adult in my 30's, and I am still struggling in life to deal with people. I basically avoid all social situations which I need to use my voice box and make sound (talk), seemingly easy things to do are a huge ordeal. It makes me wonder how much is wired so deep in my brain I cannot change, and how much harder is it to change these anxiety reactions as I get older? I really hope to not be doomed to complete loneliness forever because I cannot talk to people.

I think the more you avoid, the more you’re reinforcing those negative neural pathways, so in essence you’re making it harder to change.

Have you tried forcing yourself beyond your comfort zone?

Have a look out for any social anxiety groups in your area. (I know; it's kind of an oxymoron haha).
There's one in my town that I'm on the wait list for, because the group is kept small (this one is about 7/8 people I think). Apparently they have good success rates.

I understand what you're going through because I have to face my agoraphobia everyday, but Eve is right:
I think the more you avoid, the more you’re reinforcing those negative neural pathways, so in essence you’re making it harder to change.
Try to change on of your "avoids" into an "approach", and then add in more the next week. Baby steps. It will be hard, but it will be worth it- YOU are worth it. You can do it :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back