• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Successful Move To A Safe Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

becvan

MyPTSD Pro
It says it all.

I have successfully moved to a safe area. I worked my ass off to get here, but the really hard part was making the decision to move and sticking to it. I must say I'm rather proud of myself!

I have found that I'm noticing my symptoms more here. In any other circumstances I would consider that a downgrade; however, it really is an improvement.

It did not matter how hard I worked before, I made very little progress. I was so consumed with feeling and being unsafe, that all my hard work was not apparent in any manner.

Moving here, I have discovered that all that hard work did and is paying off, I just could not see it before. I have gone shopping, at least four times, I have gone for a local tour, chatted and had coffee with neighbors, spoken to strangers, gone banking, gone for truck rides just for the hell of it, and even struck up a friendship with a stranger! Unheard of back in Fort!

I still have my extreme symptoms and a long way to go, but now I know I can actually get there. I was feeling rather hopeless before.

The most important thing I learned out of all of this was:

A) you can not heal nor manage symptoms if you are unsafe in an area or relationship.
B) There is hope and a lot's of it.
C) I am more than capable of managing my symptoms and healing!

:thumbs-up

Isn't that awesome?

bec

Really well done bec, and congratulations to you for taking control of your life and making positive change, even when the odds where against you, you fought and won. Amazing that.... says a lot about a person. Congratulations bec, and glad you know now what I discovered doing the same thing, moving from where my trauma originated, moving that part of my life far far away from me where once dealt, it could no longer bother me at opportune moments.

A big hug and congratulations for you bec... you deserve it.

I'm so happy for you, it's such a positive change. So many people say or claim they are going to make a major change in their life like you did, but never do it. You actually did it! And you did amazingly well, considering you didn't have much assistance. You should be so proud of yourself. I'm really excited for you, you're an inspiration. Congratulations!

*blushes*

Thanks everyone. It does feel good. (I feel like I'm still in a happy bubble! LOL)

bec

Thats the best Bec, a real feel good story, hope your "arse" is felling better and you were able to get it put back on after you arrived in Thunder Bay. I to have had conversations with strangers and invited them to have coffee with me, but i got a different reply than you, some thing about being a nutter or some thing. Shit how was i to know they were mind readers, i was just trying to be nice, but very well done Bec all the best big hugs Rob.

Congrats!! I found I was far less triggered when i went to uni far away from my home which is where I could be hit by anything at any time, not to mention that my dad isnt the safest person to be around. So I know what you mean... well done, good move (excuse the pun)!

Well today is my official two month mark.

I have been noticing that I'm starting to get a lot of flashbacks I've never had before and memories I couldn't access.

It seems that part of my brain is recognizing that I'm safe. I never thought I would get any memories back and I even got a nice one! Whoo hoo for me!

I still am jumping at every little freaking thing but I've added a ton of points to my trauma list lately.

I'm getting sicker and sicker but thinking about it, I would with all this new information coming at me wouldn't I?

Seems that moving here even helped me in the amnesia department!

bec

Well done bec... really well done. This is exactly what you needed, to feel safe at home, which every person is entitled IMO. You need it with PTSD in order to go foward, though obviously not everyone can achieve this by moving... you and I certainly have, veiled too actually.

Keep up the great work bec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back