• All donations and upgrades are manually verified and approved within 24hrs.
  • Upgrades are ongoing. Learn how to save your bookmarked posts.

suddenly getting nightmares nightly

Thread starter #1
Hey. Ever since this pandemic started and i had to move back into my dad's house (from university) about a month ago, I've been having nightmares every night. Emotionally, I've been feeling pretty okay. I've been getting 8 hrs of sleep a night, if not more, drinking water, exercising, eating regularly... so I don't know why I've been having such awful dreams. What helps you all break a streak of nightmares/prevent them?

Hey @jackques ,
Are you familiar with the PTSD stress cup explanation? It will explain a lot about your current situation.

I've been having nightmares pretty much every night for the last 3 years and 2 days when one of my best friends died. Her death isn't a major cause of my PTSD, but in terms of my stress cup it represents the moment where it overflowed.

I haven't found any relief from nightmares yet (I so wish I had), but there are a number of things that you can try that will be helpful even if they can't stop your nightmares.

-Sleep hygiene, and creating a healthy sleep routine; not going to bed too late, not getting up too late, etc.
-Medications, if the problem persists. Common nightmare meds are prazosin and quetiapine.
-Activities that help to empty what's already in your stress cup; that's things like your exercise, mindfulness/meditation/yoga, maintaining a good work/play balance.
-Therapy -- do you see a therapist? I know a lot of places are doing telehealth at the moment, but that still could be a helpful option.

Hang in there, I know it's really tough.

Hey @jackques ,
Are you familiar with the PTSD stress cup explanation? It will explain a lot about your current situation.

I've been having nightmares pretty much every night for the last 3 years and 2 days when one of my best friends died. Her death isn't a major cause of my PTSD, but in terms of my stress cup it represents the moment where it overflowed.

I haven't found any relief from nightmares yet (I so wish I had), but there are a number of things that you can try that will be helpful even if they can't stop your nightmares
Hmmm, this cup thing would explain a lot. I started getting nightmares, sleep paralysis and all kinds of crazy sleep phenomena the night I learned something scary. It only recently started but I've observed some interesting things about it. It goes away when I'm in an environment where I feel sa

I meant to say that I've slept in 3 different places since I started getting the nightmares and recently I've gone nearly a whole week with little or no nightmares and I suspect it's cuz I'm in a safe and supportive environment

Top Bottom