1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Wanted - PTSD or Not?

Discussion in 'General' started by CrazyPJ, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyPJ

CrazyPJ New Member

Hello,
    I am a 54 year old white male from uk. I had near death experience when I was 2. Have found it difficult to relate to people all my life. Very withdrawn. Live alone. Have survived many years of heroin/amphetamine/barbiturate addiction. Also had another three voilent near death expeireinces and numerous overdoses. I sought help 20 years ago and was diagnosed with depression. I was given valium,seroxat, prozac and lithium all of which had distressing side affects for me. I stopped taking them and ingest medical marijuana instead. Only through reading about PTSD on the internet etc did I recognise the same symptoms in myself. I went back to my doc and I now have a new appointment to see the psychiatrist again, armed with this new knowledge. However I am reluctant for obvious reasons to divulge that I ingest mm which I am happy with as a medicine. I just want a proper diagnosis is all. Anyone any suggestions what I should do??

Thanks for reading

:pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :thumbs-up

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. PTSDd_Off

PTSDd_Off Member

Yeah - be completely open and honest with your psych. He/she's not your enemy - if they're going to give you an accurate diagnosis you'll need to be completely honest - you owe this to yourself and to your psych. Also, don't expect your psych to give you a disgnosis straight away - it should take a few sessions to get a medical understanding of your condition so that it can be categorised.

Let me ask you a question in the meantime. What would it mean to you if you were diagnosed with PTSD?

4. CrazyPJ

CrazyPJ New Member

35 years ago I knew there was summin wrong with me emotions. I have lost count of the number of psychs, counsellors and healeras I have seen. I have been diagnosed as manic depressive, alcoholic, addict and not once ever was it mentioned that I might have PTSD. So it would mean to me at last I can know whats wrong with me and then perhaps I can forgive myself and move into a new phase of my life.

PJ

5. willing

willing Active Member

I agree be honest. The only thing is that I never know what I am supposed to say or tell because I often feel I am whinny and too needy not adult enough so someone suggested I write things down. So I do and I just read them off to him. It helps.

6. CrazyPJ

CrazyPJ New Member

Thanks for the replies. I see I have focused on the negative in my life but there has been lots of positives too Yes, it would mean I can forgive myself at least and focus more on the how to live with it I guess. I have had a lot of therapy for depression over the years and a lot of it undoubtedly helped me but I always felt as if I was off track somehow. Yes, youre right, I will be totally honest and leave the rest up to him.

Thanks again

PJ

7. PTSDd_Off

PTSDd_Off Member

Yeah - If you feel llike you're having difficulty opening up - keep a daily journal and read this to your psych - that's what I did - overtime you build a relationship of trust and you'll find you'll be able to talk freely which is a great sign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar