• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Suicidal Without Depression

How can I best support myself if outside aid is unavailable?
@Friday, it can be challenging to manage PTSD and ADHD symptoms without external support, but there are still ways to support yourself.

Here are some self-care strategies to consider:

1. Practice mindfulness techniques: Mindfulness is a form of meditation that can help reduce stress, anxiety, and hyperarousal symptoms. You can try various mindfulness practices such as deep breathing, guided meditations, or mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR).

2. Exercise regularly: Exercise can help reduce the symptoms of both PTSD and ADHD and improve mood and cognitive function. Try to get at least 30 minutes of physical activity daily, such as jogging, walking, or cycling.

3. Learn relaxation techniques: Relaxation techniques, such as progressive muscle relaxation, can help reduce muscle tension, improve relaxation, and lower anxiety.

4. Develop a regular sleep routine: Sleep is crucial for mental and physical health. Try to establish a regular sleep routine, including a consistent sleep schedule, a comfortable sleep environment, and avoiding caffeine or electronics before bedtime.

5. Stay connected: Building and staying connected to a supportive network can help mitigate the effects of PTSD and ADHD. You can consider seeking support groups, online forums, or connecting with friends or family.

Remember, self-care doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing approach. You can start small and work your way up, gradually incorporating self-care strategies into your daily routine.

If you're struggling to manage your symptoms and your self-care strategies aren't helping, it's essential to seek professional help as soon as possible. A mental health professional can help you develop a comprehensive treatment plan and provide guidance and support as you navigate complex PTSD and ADHD symptoms.

It sounds like you have a unique experience with suicidal ideation, @Friday. While depression is commonly associated with suicidal thoughts and behaviors, it's important to note that not everyone who experiences suicidal ideation has depression. It's possible that your thrill-seeking behaviors were a way to cope with the trauma you had experienced, which could have included suicidal thoughts or behaviors. Connecting with high-risk situations may have been a way to feel alive and distract from your daily struggles.
Can you discuss this further?

Can you discuss this further?
@Friday, certainly, I can discuss this further.

Trauma can have a profound impact on the brain and body, leading some to engage in high-risk behaviors such as substance use, self-harming behaviors, or potentially life-threatening activities. These behaviors may provide temporary relief from emotional distress, including suicidal ideation or trauma-related symptoms.

Studies have shown that individuals with PTSD are at increased risk for suicidal ideation and suicide attempts compared to the general population. Other common symptoms of PTSD, such as hyperarousal, flashbacks, and depression, can also increase the risk of suicidal thoughts.

Some individuals with PTSD may engage in risk-taking behavior as a way to cope with these symptoms, such as participating in extreme sports, or driving recklessly. These behaviors can provide temporary relief, but over time, they can become dangerous and lead to an increased risk of injury, hospitalization, or even death.

If you're currently experiencing suicidal ideation or engaging in high-risk behaviors, it's essential to seek professional help as soon as possible. A trained mental health professional can help you develop coping mechanisms and effective treatment strategies to manage the symptoms of PTSD and reduce the risk of suicidal thoughts or behaviors.

Remember, seeking help is a sign of strength and courage, and with the right support and resources, you can overcome your trauma and build a life worth living.

f you're currently experiencing suicidal ideation or engaging in high-risk behaviors, it's essential to seek professional help as soon as possible. A trained mental health professional can help you develop coping mechanisms and effective treatment strategies to manage the symptoms of PTSD and reduce the risk of suicidal thoughts or behaviors.
Whilst I know it technically makes me higher risk, I’ve come to accept that being suicidal is simply part of my PTSD being symptomatic, and largely ignore it. Unlike 20 years ago, I no longer act on those impulses. They’re there. I ignore them.

Whilst I know it technically makes me higher risk, I’ve come to accept that being suicidal is simply part of my PTSD being symptomatic, and largely ignore it. Unlike 20 years ago, I no longer act on those impulses. They’re there. I ignore them.
@Friday, it's a positive outcome that you no longer act on the impulses to engage in self-harm or suicidal behaviors. However, it's important to remember that suicidal ideation is a symptom of PTSD and should not be ignored entirely. Ignoring persistent suicidal thoughts can lead to increased feelings of hopelessness and eventually progress to a more significant risk of attempting suicide. It's crucial to continually check in with yourself and seek support from a mental health professional if suicidal thoughts become overwhelming or unmanageable.

If you find yourself struggling with suicidal ideation, it's important to have a crisis plan in place. This plan will outline steps to take when feeling overwhelmed, such as contacting a crisis hotline, reaching out to a trusted friend or loved one, or going to an emergency room. Having a crisis plan in place will help ensure that you have support when you need it most.

Remember, talking about suicidal ideation can be challenging, but it's essential to seek help and support as soon as possible. You're not alone, and there is help available to manage your PTSD symptoms safely and effectively.

If you find yourself struggling with suicidal ideation, it's important to have a crisis plan in place. This plan will outline steps to take when feeling overwhelmed, such as contacting a crisis hotline, reaching out to a trusted friend or loved one, or going to an emergency room. Having a crisis plan in place will help ensure that you have support when you need it most.
I’m lucky enough to have a very effective crisis plan in place, pieced together from all the lessons I learned during the 5 years I was suicidal, the first time.

I’m lucky enough to have a very effective crisis plan in place, pieced together from all the lessons I learned during the 5 years I was suicidal, the first time.
@Friday, that's great to hear that you have an effective crisis plan in place. Having a specific and detailed plan is one of the most critical factors in reducing the risk of suicide. Your past experiences with suicidal ideation and behaviors give you an advantage and valuable insights into what works for you.

In developing a crisis plan, it is essential to include a list of emergency contacts, including mental health professionals, friends, or family members who can provide immediate support when you need it. It's also important to identify personal strategies that work to manage stress and decrease the intensity of suicidal thoughts. This could include relaxation techniques, self-care activities, or hobbies that provide a sense of purpose and meaning.

Remember that self-care is an essential part of managing your PTSD symptoms and reducing the risk of suicidal thoughts. Make sure to include some simple and effective self-care practices in your crisis plan that you can implement whenever you feel overwhelmed or triggered.

Overall, the most important thing is to continue actively managing your PTSD symptoms, seeking support when needed, and staying connected to those who understand and support you.

In developing a crisis plan, it is essential to include a list of emergency contacts, including mental health professionals, friends, or family members who can provide immediate support when you need it.
My crisis plan has zero aspects of outside support, as I’ve found that when I’m in crisis depending on others is a bad idea. At best, they’re unavailable. Leaving me on my own. So I’d better be prepared to handle things on my own, full stop.

My crisis plan has zero aspects of outside support, as I’ve found that when I’m in crisis depending on others is a bad idea. At best, they’re unavailable. Leaving me on my own. So I’d better be prepared to handle things on my own, full stop.
@Friday, I understand that depending on others during a crisis can be challenging, and it's important to be self-reliant. However, it's also essential to remember that no one can navigate life's challenges entirely on their own, and reaching out for professional support is a critical component of managing PTSD symptoms and reducing the risk of suicidal thoughts.

Having a crisis plan without outside support can be helpful to a certain extent, but it's always advisable to add support from mental health professionals, including hotlines and crisis centers to access when needed. Depending on the severity of the crisis, involving outside support can significantly reduce the impact and risk of harm.

It's essential to stay connected to a supportive network, including family, friends, and mental health professionals, especially during stressful situations. The support can help you feel less isolated and give you a different perspective on situations.

Ultimately, the objective of the crisis plan is to provide support and safety when experiencing PTSD symptoms. The plan must be personalized with strategies and resources that reflect your needs and preferences to reduce the risk of suicidal ideation and help manage the symptoms effectively.

In individuals with PTSD, suicidal ideation may occur due to the following reasons:

1. Persistent Intrusive Thoughts: Repeated and persistent intrusive thoughts, memories or imagery of a traumatic event that one is unable to control may cause repeated assaults to the self-concept resulting in a suicidal behavior or ideation.

2. Hyperarousal: One of the symptoms of PTSD is hyperarousal where there may be an increased adrenaline and fear response to a threat. This can lead to feeling overwhelmed or anxious and then defensive.

3. Shame and guilt: Feelings of shame and excessive guilt may cause one to feel like they are undeserving of life, leading to feelings of hopelessness and suicide.

4. Lack of social support: Individuals with PTSD may feel extremely isolated and alone, and may not feel like they have social support they can rely on. This can lead to feelings of despair and hopelessness, especially if they feel like things will never get better.

5. Co-occurring conditions: PTSD can often co-occur with other mental health conditions, like depression, anxiety, and substance abuse, all of which can contribute to suicidal ideation or behavior.
Can you discuss these further?

Can you discuss these further?
Of course, @Friday. Let me expand a bit on each of these factors that can contribute to suicidal ideation in individuals with PTSD:

1. Persistent Intrusive Thoughts: When an individual experiences a traumatic event, it can lead to the development of repeated and persistent intrusive thoughts, memories or imagery of the trauma. These intrusive thoughts can occur unexpectedly and cause significant emotional distress. Repeated assaults to the self-concept can result in feelings of shame, guilt, and hopelessness, leading to suicidal behavior or ideation.

2. Hyperarousal: Hyperarousal is a common symptom of PTSD that can cause an individual to be on high alert and excessively fearful when faced with a real or perceived threat. This can lead to feeling overwhelmed or anxious and then defensive. The constant feeling of being on guard can be exhausting and lead to feelings of hopelessness and guilt.

3. Shame and guilt: Individuals with PTSD may experience feelings of shame and excessive guilt due to the traumatic events they've experienced or their reactions to them. These feelings may cause one to feel like they are undeserving of life, leading to feelings of hopelessness and suicidal ideation.

4. Lack of social support: People with PTSD may feel extremely isolated and alone, and may not feel like they have social support they can rely on. If they don't have people to talk to or spend time with, it can lead to feelings of despair and hopelessness, especially if they feel like things will never get better.

5. Co-occurring conditions: PTSD can often co-occur with other mental health conditions, like depression, anxiety, and substance abuse. These co-occurring conditions can exacerbate PTSD symptoms and contribute to suicidal ideation or behavior.

It's essential to reach out for support and help when experiencing these symptoms, and consulting with a mental health professional can be highly beneficial. They can help address symptoms of PTSD and provide personalized treatment that can effectively reduce the risk of suicidal ideation.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back