• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

BPD Surprise Diagnosis- Having a “Secret” Diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as possibly looking for a new therapist in the future, in my experience people will put more value in what people that have treated you for a long period of time say instead of hospital records or other records from someone that only treated you for a short time.

I think we know ourselves, we know our trauma and how it affects us. That in itself should be enough. Docs sometimes add a dx when it isn’t quite there because the services that are available for that dx are more accessible then for others. This happens a lot with the ddnos subtypes. Would I want a dx just because it gets me services, no way. My daughter has autism, but somewhere I saw in her reports also schizophrenia. So, yes thats an eyebrow raiser.
Also there is a more recent article going around fb that talks about how someone with trauma, gets labeled many things when they simply are suffering the effects of trauma which would include suicidal ideation, and many other things.

My daughter has autism, but somewhere I saw in her reports also schizophrenia. So, yes thats an eyebrow raiser.

Not sure how old she is and this may be particularly tricky if a small child, but even later on, it can get quite hard to discern how much is which symptom of either (the social withdrawing or discomfort, the focus on inner world and abstract concepts, not neurotypical way of responding to situations, developmental delay that would both be up in autism regardless of age and child schizophrenia....)

I can see the overlap and diagnostic difficulties with those two quite easily, without the doctor meaning to stigmatize the person at all.

Not sure how old she is and this may be particularly tricky if a small child, but even later on, it can get quite hard to discern how much is which symptom of either (the social withdrawing or discomfort, the focus on inner world and abstract concepts, not neurotypical way of responding to situations, developmental delay that would both be up in autism regardless of age and child schizophrenia....)

I can see the overlap and diagnostic difficulties with those two quite easily, without the doctor meaning to stigmatize the person at all.
She is 23 now

The only diagnosis my doc told me I had while diagnosing me was Bipolar 1.

My PTSD, panic disorder, disturbed sleep pattern, etc. was all diagnosed without immediately telling me, though I was able to check my records any time - which is how I first saw my PTSD diagnosis, and everything else. My PTSD diagnosis came up in sessions not long after (as in, it being addressed by name, her saying that I have PTSD), but I wasn't told about it at first.

I don't know if it's normal or not, but I've had two docs do that, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back