• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Survivability Of Being Drilled On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronin

MyPTSD Pro
How survivable is being drilled on as a child, younger than 5, not heads?

I'm trying to make sense of some childhood memories. Me & others. Old phobias. Reactions at first oficial dentist and utter fricking relief that's any other kind of doctor. I passed out just from the relief right then.

Uh. Yah. My childhood featured some serial killers. Two that I know of. Both dead by all news I have.

I just can't make sense of disbelief over things. Met similar crap later but that was cartel land. The childhood is what makes me cross eyed.

Sorry if I'm vague. Prolly closest I get with this / most clarity, while I can't get mighty drunk on it.

How survivable is being drilled on as a child, younger than 5, not heads?
Very.

That’s how IVs are inserted (drilled into long bones) on young children in the field. We use a drill. Medical drill, so it’s fast, zap, done. But I’ve seen xrays of kids with dozens of holes drilled into their bones, in various stages of healing, bouncing around grinning like lemurs.

As far as sadistic f*cks getting off on pain? Drilling on a kid for “fun” is still going to be excruciating, but because so many of the nerves aren’t fully mylenated yet? The deadly pain responses (shock, heart attack, seizure, etc.) adults get take a looooooot longer to show up. And when they do, young organs are -typically- much more resilient. It’s not that kids don’t feel pain, but without the myelin sheath coating nerves; it takes a looooot longer for signals to reach the brain, and a lot of those electrical signals disperse into the body, instead of zapping all the way to the end of the line. Kids can even still be conscious and talking, with almost every bone in their body broken... while an adult with half of their injuries would have stroked out or died of shock. Some of the crush and concussive injuries I’ve seen kids pull though, especially the under-5 and under-2 crowd? Are mind blowing. Part of that is structure (young bones and blood vessels are more bendy, young bones/muscles/organs heal faster), part of that is central-nervous-system being immature, so the system overload takes longer to kick in.

So, yep. Very very survivable.

I was always amazed at how resilient kids are...especially the little ones. Every summer we would get calls of kids falling from 3,4,5 floor windows and they were fine - they bounce! Our medics said the same as @Friday ... that it's because they aren't connected thru their bones yet and their cartilage isn't hardend. So they were more floppy than adults which allows them to absorb the impact

I know that doesn't help with the dentist thing but it might add to the idea that littles are way stronger than we give them credit for.

My concern is afterwards. They need someone to hold them and cuddle them and help them recover from the pain and the fear. That your little had to suffer that kind of pain for someone's entertainment...alone, with no one to help her after? That is heartbreaking.

Glad they are dead. Wanna go dance on their graves?? I'm im!

Yeah, I super get kids are more flexible than adults, I just don't grok utter basics when applied to my own trauma lol. (And wanna quote marks the 'trauma' here. -eyeroll-)

Honestly who I am concerned for here and was *then* is the *other kids*. Bugf*ck terrified. But the others were in worse shape. Then.

And one I know survived and was ok after. As ok as one can with that.

The other, I p much believe *has* survived - but I wasn't able to get through missing kids reports of back then and last I tried to talk to cops serving then they didn't know. As in knew of missing kids in that area but not where they went to or why, assumption was (partially correct) heroin trade.

And my descriptions were shit. Like I knew them by first names. Both of which mighta been fake.

Tbh don't care for these graves. Dead scumbags I don't feel much for. The first one was earlier than this and a legit surgeon license. The driller one I care for circumstances of it whole for #reasons, but not him.

And care for the other kids and where the truth is, was.

Because even a kid me was determined to live *to tell, if they die.*

Never even mind seeing legit dentist shown me I'm not *able* to tell as I was busy staring at people (them, flashbacks) that weren't there, and (wanna puke, stuffs)

(Push it down)

--- Naw haz better response, lol. Sorry.

It’s not that kids don’t feel pain, but without the myelin sheath coating nerves; it takes a looooot longer for signals to reach the brain, and a lot of those electrical signals disperse into the body, instead of zapping all the way to the end of the line. Kids can even still be conscious and talking, with almost every bone in their body broken... while an adult with half of their injuries would have stroked out or died of shock.

Part of that is structure (young bones and blood vessels are more bendy, young bones/muscles/organs heal faster), part of that is central-nervous-system being immature, so the system overload takes longer to kick in.

This piece - delayed responses / still awake while shit's up - was what sent me so laughing, in a bad haha way. (Couldn't stop it for an hour straight. Then a helpful headmate decided he gonna ninja us to sleep as need to manage the overwhelm no matter what. Brightie he.)

Because I wasn't talking much at that event, like specifically decided if I'm awake somewhere creepy with kids nearby I know but everything blurs atm, wisest thing will be figure out the f*ck adults want? Which means not talking.

But I couldn't make sense (then, now, both) of pushing down pain and then nothing *but* pain except I hated blacking out so bad bc while couldn't think / everything sploded to just pain, I still had more scared & checked out kids I needed to know if they're *alive*. And that was when I *seen* them, before they were dragged away, which whole other related story.

And that piece of childhood never squared up with my reactions in later childhood never mind adulthood high-pain situations.

Cus it was just so different & odd.

IMHO Ronin, I think it is misleading to believe kids are more resilient or flexible during traumatic events. They are not.

There were times when it was believed babies do not feel pain. I think what happens to children is (my opinion also) that they are growing so they do not know what pain is. The body is literally changing so fast.
It is almost like basic animalistic level...have you met my dog who has been traumatized in his last home and still acting like he lives there? They feel the pain, the suffering but there is no language, no lexicon to explain, compare, contrast so the body shuts down (dissociation is more formative the younger the child).

Maybe I am not even talking about same thing as you but basically you just did not die. You survived and your body remembers everything but your mind is finding out little by little now. and maybe cannot believe the sheer amount of trauma you lived through!

Again my opinion, when adults experience overwhelming trauma such as sexual assault or war-zone etc, we get angry, we drink, we may kill a person, and go to prison, lose everything and become a homeless or get a therapist and have family/friends/society to help us. Our reactions are varied cause we have options, for a child though, they just swallow all the pain and hope, unconsciously, someday to undo the damage, if they survive today.

Yeah different experience, @grit, as I just don't relate nor was "hope" much a part of what I'm describing (it was. For maybe ten seconds. Then it was too much light to orient in & needed to.

Cue sooo many times my childhood.
Hope is an useless bullshit waste of time and can f*ck right off. ;) )

But I'm so glad you care and thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back