Sufferer Survivor and would-be researcher - childhood abuse

Qispiumina

New Here
Hey there folks - Qispiumina is "diamond" in Quechua, an indigenous language of Peru. I'm not Peruvian, but I spent a couple of years there once upon a time.
I think of us survivors as diamonds, subjected to intense heat and pressure over what seems like geological time. Some of us shatter completely, but others manage to hang on and become something priceless.

My childhood was more than usually nasty, even among survivors. I came out of it not actually a sociopath, but well able to play one on TV. Part of my early conditioning was to fear and avoid therapists... So I spent the first 20 years of my healing trying all kinds of alternative remedies. It didn't help that, when I was starting out, PTSD was supposed to be limited to combat veterans.

I finally started getting better when I developed a spiritual life, which for me meant Catholicism (a reaction to the spiritual/sexual abuse I experienced as a child), and found a good psychoanalyst. It's been nearly five years now, and I'm finally getting to the point where I can think about going back into brain research (which I had to drop when I had my 4th breakdown, around 2004).

I want to help make it easier for others to heal by learning what goes wrong in our brains. Imagine how much better the world could be if so many of us weren't so traumatized.

BlueRaccoon

New Here
I think it's awesome that you're interested in the workings of the brain! It's such an interesting topic, humankind can benefit so much learning more about it.