• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Study Survivors' near-miss experiences on 9/11 linked to post-traumatic stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
People who narrowly avoid disaster do not necessarily escape tragedy unharmed, and their knowledge of the victims' fate shapes how survivors respond to traumatic events, according to results that explore the effects of near-miss experiences associated with the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
-OJupO5mdxw

Dead Link Removed

I think there is a lot of truth to this article and the study. Good subject.

I've met people who missed certain disasters, catastrophic or deadly events by strange twists of fate and there is a nervousness about the way they recount that near miss. It's almost like they know they should feel lucky but no longer have the confidence to assume that their luck will continue. It's hard to describe really. A few seconds here or there, a hold-up in traffic.. such random things that nobody could really account for them. But they were the moments of difference between life and death or major trauma. Oblivious until after the fact of course.

One of my children was meant to have been on a train that was subsequently bombed several years ago. It took my government half a day to track him down... he decided to walk to work that day... whew.. !! The memory of me sitting in the dark for hours, my whole body shaking and trembling violently whilst waiting by the phone for that call.. to release me from suspense or alternatively it could have sunk me into hell..... God it was so good when his voice came onto the line... :)

Has anyone else had a near miss themselves or had a loved one who has had one?

I recently understood that I believe in superdeterminism, a theory in physics that I first heard discussed as predestination in church.

There are no missed appointments.

It's not really that comforting because the illusion that everything happens randomly is complete.

The only thing I can think of like this is the draft. We had a foster brother growing up and he would have been drafted for Vietnam but he got accepted to college. I remember how I felt about that. Russ was a real poindexter and an engineer. He wouldn't have been much of a soldier? Maybe, who knows? I was scared to death for him.

I personally have always been horrified at the idea of the draft and the service and I had a recurrent nightmare about it most of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back