• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Survivors Of Terrorism, Mass Violence... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaOwl

MyPTSD Pro
I was looking at the forums available here - there are so many! But one thing seems lacking to me, and that is under the "Types of Trauma/Stressors" heading. I feel there is something missing - I'm not seeing anything to fit civilian survivors/casualties of mass violent activities such as shootings and other public disasters. I'm going to list the possibilities so I don't have to keep switching windows:

Assault
Childhood
Complex
Death
Domestic Violence
Medical
Military & Emergency Services
Miscellaneous
Natural Disaster
Sexual Assault
Vehicle Accidents

Based on my history, "Childhood", "Sexual Assault", and I guess I would fit under "Complex", too, although I don't have a diagnosis based on that. But I have another very significant trauma. - living through a terrorist attack. That is what currently haunts me the most and I don't know where to find others that can relate.

I've looked through that list of categories, and I cannot figure out a good spot for victims of a terrorist attacks, or victims of mass shootings.

Yes, there's Miscellaneous. But I feel like mine doesn't count since it's not listed. - Mine very specifically being Sept 11 2001 here in the United States. There are many horrifying events going on every day all over the world, many people live through them, but walk away and develop PTSD.

I am very uncomfortable saying "my" trauma is from, but I'm making the sacrifice here because that's exactly why I think such a group would be a good idea. A place where I would be more *comfortable* posting it, not alone. I'm looking to talk to and support the many civilians who are nearby when the Military & Emergency Services are engaged.

I was just wondering if other people might like to see a group where they know that others can relate. I don't see a good place to post about that, where I will find other survivors of all the worldwide attacks and survivors of mass violence.

I feel that events like this warrants a category of its own, not just Miscellaneous - so many people develop PTSD from such incidents. I think. But I do not see them here on the myptsd boards.

Maybe "Mass Violence" could be the name for such a category - I'm trying to think what would be a good name, to communicate with other survivors. I'm wondering if there are any people in my boat - civilian survivors of mass violence. I never seem to come across many. I wonder if there are people like me, who prefer not to name their tragedy in the face of so many under the assault and sexual abuse categories.

Any suggestions? If it's not a "popular" enough cause of PTSD, if it is not something that people want to discuss, that's fine. It's just an idea I had.

Closed. Forum administrative matters are not up for public discussion by members, unless specifically requested by staff. Raise a ticket for all forum administrative matters.

Yes, there's Miscellaneous. But I feel like mine doesn't count since it's not listed
That's a feeling, not a fact, and you can address that with yourself.

Miscellaneous is the correct place for these types of highly specific traumas. My trauma was abduction - there isn't an abduction forum - it's entirely too specific. So, I open a thread in Miscellaneous, and people find the topic in there.

We've lived well with these areas since the Traumas section was created; Moving Vehicles was added as it's own category after it was clear that a sufficient number of them were amassing in the Miscellaneous section, and they were distinct enough to merit opening a new area. There's not going to be a need to expand that area of the forum.

I'm adding this comment so that you - and anyone else reading this - can understand that, and work within the categories that are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back