• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

T advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile

MyPTSD Pro
So my T is extremely goal oriented, not into just chatting about the past, me dwelling on my crappy mood etc.

It’s been 3 years and I’m still trying to get used to her method although I like it and understand how it will probably help me more.

Lately I’ve been very low on cash and so I’ve been seeing T every 3 weeks or so, even though my mood is at an all time low (I quit SSRI’s & refuse, so far, to get back on them because I MUST lose weight) and I think/feel I should probably be seeing her like twice weekly.

I’m also trying not to run to her every time I have an issue & trying to figure it out myself.

Which brings me to my question.

When I have a session I feel like I just don’t have enough time to discuss goals/tasks as well as my emotions.

So... Is it unheard of to ask for a double session? As in, a 2 hour session as opposed to 1 hour?

Thanks tons!
Sooo confused

It’s been 3 years and I’m still trying to get used to her method although I like it and understand how it will probably help me more.
3 years is a long time to still be getting used to her way of working - if you need to talk through your feelings and she doesn't work that way, is question whether she's the right person for you - which isn't what you asked but if money is tight and session time at a premium, I'd want to be working with someone who prioritised my need.

In terms of session length, it's perfectly reasonable to negotiate and ask for a longer session time. Depending on her modality she may not agree to a longer session but again that would suggest to me she isn't the right fit for you.

Not at all unheard of - I’ve done two hour, 90min and one hour session times at various points with my current T. She is flexible and willing to provide what I think I need. I’m seeing her for 60mins once a fortnight at the moment, because that’s what I can afford right now. If I had more certainty with my finances, I think my preference now would be to stick to fortnightly but do 90 min sessions instead of 60 min. 90mins feels good to me.

I completely agree that 3 years is a long time to be adjusting to the methods of a therapist.

I would suggest making it a priority to discuss this with her as well as giving you better coping techniques to help you in between sessions. I understand completely about the financial restrictions as I too feel that weekly sessions would be better for me right now. However, it's just not possible.

Even more incentive to make sure I know good grounding and coping methods as I can't be in touch with my T all the time. I wouldn't move forward myself if I relied only on him to help me over the bumps.

I would suggest that you need to develop more confidence in yourself. Believe that you can do some of this yourself. Your T can give you the affirmation necessary when you have the next session as well as answer the questions you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back