• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Telling My Wife That My Depression is Returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

David1959

Confident
I have been keeping my growing depression secret from my wife for 6 months (my default response) but last night shared with her, I am glad I did.

"My Love:

I am sharing this with you so you can maybe understand a little about some issues I am dealing with. I really thought I had this behind me but I guess not. It is nothing I can discuss, as I am unable to understand or even discuss with myself. I am stuck with many feelings and no way to understand or express them.

Attached are some posts from a couple of different sites dealing with this that I used 4 years ago and then again recently. Maybe reading them might help you to at least get a glimpse into my problems. While I am not suffering as badly as I was 4 years ago when I had a total mental collapse, it is affecting me in many ways, maybe even my IBS issues?

I have reached out to a therapist who does online sessions but will not be able to get in until October. I had an appointment pre Covid with a different therapist but that obviously got canceled.

I absolutely love you more than anything and I am sorry to bring my issues into our lives again. With help from a Therapist I am hopping to get back to a better place. Please understand that this is nothing I can talk about because I don’t even understand it myself and am not mentally equipped yet to discuss or even think about.

Also the cause of this is 100% unrelated to our relationship, I could not ask for a partner who is more caring and understanding but this is an issue that was buried deep inside my mind when I was 10 and is not a result of us, rather it is most likely you who has kept me close to sane. Please bear with me

As I deal with my own internal demons my process is to disassociate and bury which is not right but it is how I was able to survive my abuse and unfortunately it is a defense mechanism I learned at a very young age and is hard to break. I need to learn how to not do that and I hope therapy will show me that path.

I apologize for being absent in so many areas, I am trying too not sink into a debilitating depression and instinctively shy away from getting involved in emotional conversations because I fear I am not emotionally equipped to handle, this is my fault and issue to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back