• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Research term paper on military PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Marc

Learning
Dear MyPTSD community,
Let me first introduce myself. I’m Simon, an 18 year-old student from Germany. Currently, I’m writing a term paper about combat PTSD/military PTSD. So this research is reserved for veterans. I would like to depict the issue from the soldier’s perspective in order to portray the topic in their interest. Moreover I want to show both, the soldier and the individual. I’d be glad if there are some guys who want to share their opinion with me and my readers. If you know somebody who is not a member of MyPTSD, please inform the person about this research. Maybe he/she wants to participate.
Here are some questions. I don’t mind if you don’t want to answer every question, just skip the uncomfortable ones.

• Have you ever been deployed?
  • General information on deployment (where and when, aspects of deployment, comradeship, conflict within the deployed unit)
  • How did PTSD influence your everyday life (during and after deployment)?
  • What kind of treatment for PTSD did you try (psychologists, medication, workbooks, etc.)?
  • Which of these approaches did work for you?
  • Your opinion on official treatment (VA, private institutions, medication)?
  • Do you have any ideas for a successful treatment?
  • How to treat a soldier as a civilian (how to help, questions to ask, questions that should be avoided by a civilian)?

If something about this post upsets anyone here, please let me know. I’m open to constructive criticism.

Best Regards,
Simon

Thanks for your interest in learning more about this condition.

Moreover I want to show both, the soldier and the individual.
There is no in my view both it is all in one.

I would suggest connecting with a local organization that you can maybe meet a vet face to face. It is much more powerful than messages.

There is no in my view both it is all in one.

You're right, maybe it's better to say that I want to show the impact from a professional and personal perspective.

I would suggest connecting with a local organization that you can maybe meet a vet face to face. It is much more powerful than messages.

Once again I agree, but I'm afraid there are not such vet organisations like in the US in Germany. Moreover I know a guy who tried to make contact to someone working at Ramstein Air Base, but unfortunately it didn't work. That's the reason why I chose to do a research on the internet.

How to treat a soldier as a civilian

While I am aware what you are meaning to ask there, likely (as in the transition to civilian life, either post deployments or transitioning from the profession altogether)... this bit could also be complicated.

As in you don’t treat a soldier as a civilian.
And self reference / identity wise, phrasing it that way could be taken as misunderstanding at best, quite derogatory on the other end.

You're right, maybe it's better to say that I want to show the impact from a professional and personal perspective.

Once again I agree, but I'm afraid there are not such vet organisations like in the US in Germany. Moreover I know a guy who tried to make contact to someone working at Ramstein Air Base, but unfortunately it didn't work. That's the reason why I chose to do a research on the internet.

Thanks for explaining your circumstances. I am not a veteran but wish you the best that your research goes well.

Since becoming a member here i would say having our experience examined can feel and be quite invasive. The traumas are very personal to each and vary from person to person.

Hopefully we can help by offering insight. One more person learning about our invisible injuries is welcomed. There is still much stigma to reduce.

Good luck and maybe u can even share your paper when done?

Since becoming a member here i would say having our experience examined can feel and be quite invasive. The traumas are very personal to each and vary from person to person.

Yeah, that's the main problem. But nevertheless, it's definitely worth a try.

Good luck and maybe u can even share your paper when done?

Thank you! I will share it as soon as possible.

Hello Simon,

I am from Germany but I do not have ptsd. So unfortunately I cannot answer your questions.
Have you tried contacting the “Bund deutscher Einsatzveteranen“ or “Combat Vets Germany“?Startseite

Startseite | Combat Veteran e.V.

Oh and do you know PTBS Eisblume? Dead Link Removed

The Bundeswehr has a ptsd Hotline which you can reach at Germany/08005887957

May they can help you too... but this board is also great and I hope you find many helpful answers here.

I would be interested in your paper. Which subject is it?

Last edited:
May they can help you too

Thank you! I really didn't find those websites during my research. But there is a problem: I'm writing the term paper in the subject English, so it necessarily has to do something with the English-speaking world (especially USA). It's not sufficient just to write the content in English. That's why I shouldn't focus on the german vets.

I would be interested in your paper. Which subject is it?

I think the title will be: " The impact of PTSD on the soldier"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back