• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Terrified about making close friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunfl0wer

Learning
A friend of mine has seen me in the midst of a flashback and panic attack recently and has been helping me get through some of the holidays. He's a great friend and seems to be naturally able to get how to do just that.

But somehow it terrifies me. The only other person that I have this kind of bond with is my fiancé, and every other man I have trusted before with not even half of what I have shared with him has hurt me. How do I navigate this or really any other friendship without being terrified that at some point he'll try to sexually assault me? My gut is telling me that I can trust that he won't but my PTSD is telling me that I'm a fool and that no man is that much of a friend without an ulterior motive.

Greetings @Sunfl0wer,
I’m so sorry to hear of your recent challenges with your health, however, I very happy to hear that you’re blessed with not one, but two great men in your life. Follow your gut. They sound like two very supportive individuals. I tried to be a great supporter myself with no ulterior motives in mind. IMO you are a blessed person and I pray that you continue to be blessed as you go through life with ptsd.

The best friend that I have to talk to and show vulnerability about ptsd crap has also had ptsd type symptoms throughout her life related to childhood emotional abuse. I also have a male friend that had a bad childhood that seems to be empathetic (he is gay). Perhaps your friend can identify or relate to what you are going through. However, I would caution you on being ptsd intimate with a man that could become into you (and you into him). That is what your fiancé is for and your emotional bonds should be forming with him. I didn’t rely on my husband for my ptsd emotional needs until I was hanging on a thread of being non-functional. I was putting too much dependence on my best female friend. Your therapist is a great person to fully put your trust into. They are trained in boundaries and should be a safe person for vulnerability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back