News Terrorism in the US capital

DharmaGirl

MyPTSD Pro
I had been thinking that I was overreacting in worrying about civil unrest, but it has happened. I find it hard to understand why so many people believe the election was stolen when there was no indication that it happened. We have a president that wants to be a dictator, and his followers don't realize that they will lose all their "rights". He has shown that if you aren't loyal, you will be punished. I am trying my best to remain calm, but I live in Trump country and I won't open my mouth.

I don't think this thread will last very long but I agree with your assessment. Yesterday's events have shamed our country. It seems like many people in this country no longer value living in a democracy and I think our democracy is ultimately doomed because of that.

grit

MyPTSD Pro
As someone who grew up under dictatorship and, defected right about when I reached the legal age, let me tell you something. First and foremost, whenever you see people believing a person, it is a good sign there is collective, mass madness. Because a person is not a country or even an entity, it is just a person who will die just like everybody else. Just think of all the history of believing one person, and where that landed.
The sad thing is America is being laughed at cause they have been telling themselves for so long we know freedom. Today they showed, only for white men. Still though, there was no bloodshed war ...it is only one city not all over the country...so that tells you how resilient such a young country is truly! however, if some people are not punished, tomorrow, the leader will be cruz or hawley and then america will perish. It is like a break up, and you realize the real deal but ignored it for another 10 or 20 yrs marriage that ends up with homicide. after narcissism, as many on Ptsd site will now about, there are only two results: you heal faster and grow stronger or you perish with ptsd. let us see what america chooses because they will not be leading the world economy while tending to severe ptsd symptoms.

reallydown

MyPTSD Pro
I had been thinking that I was overreacting in worrying about civil unrest, but it has happened. I find it hard to understand why so many people believe the election was stolen when there was no indication that it happened. We have a president that wants to be a dictator, and his followers don't realize that they will lose all their "rights". He has shown that if you aren't loyal, you will be punished. I am trying my best to remain calm, but I live in Trump country and I won't open my mouth.
Please stay safe

Sadielady3

Confident
I am a teacher doing virtual learning. Having said that, the district I teach in borders on DC and many, many of my students' parents work for the government in DC. I'd say it's the biggest employer of my students' parents. There were many discussions in many classes today on this topic- not as a political lesson, mind you, but about safety and anxiety issues that the students were facing. So many of our young people have been level headed about this heated topic and believe that storming the capitol, regardless of who did it, is wrong. They believe that voting and democracy are important. I have hope in the future because of the students I see who are intelligent critical thinkers who want to make a difference in the world. They may spend too much time on YouTube and Fortnite but they also spend some time thinking too. Hopefully we will continue to grow as a country because quite frankly, this country is already showing a lot of PTSD symptoms.

ladee

MyPTSD Pro
Just to clarify, I am not a Trump supporter. I did not vote in the first election because both of them scared me. With that being said, I also live in Trump territory and will say that everyone I have heard say anything was appalled and embarrassed about what happened yesterday.

Not ALL Trump supporters agreed with many things the man said and did. And he shot himself in the foot for reelection on the first debate with Biden. He came across as a bully and a tyrant. Many people saw him for the first time in such a way as to validate what others had been saying all along.

And the way he has presented himself since???? Let me say that many many people have walked away from him and do not support what happened yesterday.

I totally agree with what @grit shared. I saw a number of world leaders this morning, sharing hope for America. Trump is one man. His time has ended. He will always be a topic for discussion because of the way he showed the world yesterday that he way not beyond manipulating his 'people' to do what they did.

Yesterday, his words, the actions that followed, turned many many Americans the other way. Because part of his rhetoric was to make American great again. And he is responsible for what happened yesterday, playing to the people who think like him. NOT ALL of his supporters agreed with one thing that happened yesterday.

And NOT ALL of his supporters followed his rhetoric about COVID. They had minds of their own and common sense.

It was one situation. In one place. And once he saw there was going to be major consequences, he backed down. Many of us are still hoping he has to pay those consequences. Regardless of the party, it was wrong.

So BE an American and don't hide from what happened. Be proud of Congress coming together to finish what they started. Be proud that it reached so many people that did support him and saw what happened and now do not see him the same way.

As tragic as yesterday was, it CAN be a good thing. Depends on which way we look at it.

We are still a very young Nation, and in some ways, still trying to find our way. Yes, some countries were glad to see the insurrection and upheaval. But some countries also know what we stand for here and are supporting us.

Whether you supported him or not, don't let FEAR take over. That plays into what was happening. And what led up to yesterday.

I am STILL a proud American. He was only one man that played to a group of people, a very small group of people, who believed as he portrayed himself to be. And they are now seeing, there will be consequences. If nothing else, he lost a lot of followers yesterday because they still believe in law and order. More than they believe in him!!

DharmaGirl

MyPTSD Pro
It was one situation. In one place. And once he saw there was going to be major consequences, he backed down. Many of us are still hoping he has to pay those consequences.
Actually, there were several situations at various state capitals across the US. There is also chatter about other "demonstrations" being planned. I have come across loud, angry people where I live who insist that their rights are being taken away. This feeds my fear. There are signs here that say "The Virus is a Lie". Many of the people interviewed at the capital were proud of what they did, and admitted to trying to overthrow the government. This is what scares me. The fact that they are seeing their behavior as acceptable since they are angry.

I'm not proud to be an American, I'm embarrassed. Given the fact I am an American I have the right to say that. I hope there comes a time when I can be proud of this country, and until then I will hope that we can heal.