• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

The Report Function: How, When, And Why To Use It

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeylittle

Sponsor
I think it's a good time for a reminder on how you as users help us staff keep the community running smoothly.

It's called 'Report' - and it's a great tool. Here's why:

• Staff can see that there's a report much more quickly than they will see a PC.
  • More than one member reporting the same issue is very meaningful information for us.
  • You can't always win an argument - but when you hit report, you get to type out your reason for reporting - and staff will always hear both sides equally.
You can report posts, and you can report a member directly from their profile page as well.

If you need a refresher on how to initiate a report, please refer to this thread:
Using The Profile Pop-up: Report, Ignore, Follow, Or Start A Conversation

Action won't always need to be taken; this forum believes everyone can express their viewpoint. But, when you suspect that there is:

1. A personal attack, on you or someone else
  2. A suicidal posting, in which someone clearly states their method, that they have it accessible, and they plan to go forward
  3. Self-promotion or advertising, anything from 'buy my CD' to 'try my YouTube channel'

You should report.

We would always rather see more reports than hear about things after the fact.

If you have something that you wish to keep 100% confidential, message me directly. If you are a supporter and prefer to keep confidentiality with a fellow supporter, message @Nicolette (as Supporter Admin).

Thanks!
JL

Last edited:
I want to add that sometimes reports are accumulated on members who are not breaking one of the above rules outright but whom are really toeing the line repeatedly or repeatedly disturbing the rest of the community through behavior that is not specifically breaking rules. This accumulation of reports will allow staff to better understand if someone is becoming a nuisance to the greater community in spite of not breaking rules. Though the first 10 reports may not be actioned because no rules are being broken, such reports will draw staff to closely watch the member in question for behavior that could be deemed chronically disruptive.

I hope that made sense. What I mean to say is, if you see the above behaviors (attacking, suicidal posting, or self-promotion), please report indeed as those are breeches of our policy. However, if you are having continuing difficulty with a member not fully crossing those lines, reporting them anyway can help create a record to better help staff decide if a member is generally disruptive to the community at large.

I want to make clear that in such cases, there may never be staff intervention, but our logged reports can be an excellent tool for getting the whole picture on disruptive behavior.

Also, before I was a mod, I was scared to report, because it felt like it would automatically get other members in trouble, or perhaps I was bothering staff with pithy occurrences. I see now that there is no harm done in just hitting report when in doubt.

One last note... members can report guest postings, but please know that all guest posts are approved by a moderator before they become public to the community anyway. ;)

all guest posts are approved by a moderator before they become public to the community anyway.

This is very good to know!

I have a question, can a banned member come back and post as a guest?

Im would never do that, Im asking just more of a personal reason as myself still be an active member.

I wanted to add that to not make it seem that if i were ever perm banned (dont think i ever would get myself there again for even a temp ban) im asking more of me being not banned and speaking of another banned member.

Last edited:
I was scared to report, because it felt like it would automatically get other members in trouble, or perhaps I was bothering staff with pithy occurrences. I see now that there is no harm done in just hitting report when in doubt.
I see! Thanks @Simply Simon It helps me so much to see straight-out, what is the "correct" course of action. - I feel guilty each and every time I raise a ticket or communicate with staff or mods in any way... but that is what you guys are here for! I need that reminder, once in a while.
- I even felt guilty during the past week with technical problems when you guys asked straight out to get reports from members! I second- (and third- and fourth-) guess myself.
This time, I was able to make a report, but that would not always be the case for me. Good reminder. Thanks for your hard work!

Wow. So glad I read this thread. It's making this site feel so much safer than I perceived it to be. I joined 5 years ago, found that an active member was a bully and due to seeing bullying behavior on the site I gradually stopped coming around. I missed it too, but I would feel a bunch of ugly when I would try to come on the site, even just to read stuff, not even posting. Putting the bully on ignore wasn't working for me either because I found myself un-ignoring so that I could make better sense of the threads I was reading...this person was everywhere.
Anywhoo, It feels good to know that here on this site, bullies are dealt with and members are protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back