• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other The truth about Panic Disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
The calm your way out of it idea is honestly super frustrating no matter what kind of panic you’re dealing with xP
LMAO… Except that’s exactly what we do with PTSD anxiety attacks and panic attacks. Breathing, grounding, focusing/mindfulness, reality checking, etc., etc., etc.; are all tools to learn to calm down. Ideally on command.

LMAO… Except that’s exactly what we do with PTSD anxiety attacks and panic attacks. Breathing, grounding, focusing/mindfulness, reality checking, etc., etc., etc.; are all tools to learn to calm down. Ideally on command.
Yeah you’re right, I guess I was referring to people that seem to think that can happen instantly. Like “There’s no reason to cry” like yeah I know geez. Do you think I want this 🥲🥲🥲

Yeah you’re right, I guess I was referring to people that seem to think that can happen instantly. Like “There’s no reason to cry” like yeah I know geez. Do you think I want this 🥲🥲🥲
No worries. 🤠

With many disorders there simply isn’t a way to self-regulate / one cannot learn to calm down, like can be done with PTSD. Like bipolar disorder, schizoaffective, psychosis/psychotic, etc.

Some, meanwhile, “get” instant calm by removing the stimuli that’s causing the panic (sensory component disorders mainly, like autism, adhd, etc.), or get immediate lowered levels although it takes a while to reach normal (phobias are a good example); unlike PTSD where once someone is triggered it doesn’t matter if the trigger is still present or not, a person has to learn how to physically manage their response.

Others have to learn to manage / work around what will always be present (including some of the above, and a lot that aren’t), whilst others have lessened symptoms themselves, like PTSD, but using wildly different methods, or some different & some similar methods …but applied very differently. Like OCD.

I’m not familiar enough with Panic Disorder to know where on the ability to learn emotional monitoring & self-regulation spectrum it falls.

Mine don’t respond to grounding or breathing techniques. My new counselor told me to try something else. Just go with it and see where it leads me (with medical help if necessary).

I feel like lying down in a dark quiet room. It seemed wrong to do that because I thought I had to fight the derealization. But I went with it. Just laid there and embraced it. And I saw that it wasn’t the end of the world.

Now I let my body do its thing while I quietly lay still. After an hour or two my body gets itself together. Attempts to intervene seem to prolong it.

No worries. 🤠

With many disorders there simply isn’t a way to self-regulate / one cannot learn to calm down, like can be done with PTSD. Like bipolar disorder, schizoaffective, psychosis/psychotic, etc.

Some, meanwhile, “get” instant calm by removing the stimuli that’s causing the panic (sensory component disorders mainly, like autism, adhd, etc.), or get immediate lowered levels although it takes a while to reach normal (phobias are a good example); unlike PTSD where once someone is triggered it doesn’t matter if the trigger is still present or not, a person has to learn how to physically manage their response.

Others have to learn to manage / work around what will always be present (including some of the above, and a lot that aren’t), whilst others have lessened symptoms themselves, like PTSD, but using wildly different methods, or some different & some similar methods …but applied very differently. Like OCD.

I’m not familiar enough with Panic Disorder to know where on the ability to learn emotional monitoring & self-regulation spectrum it falls.
That’s a good point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back