• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

The virtual walking/hiking club

Status
Not open for further replies.

intothelight

Sponsor
Exercise is not only good for physical health, but also has a positive impact on mental health. Being outdoors and in nature also has a positive impact on mental health, so the purpose of this thread is provide a place for sharing, motivation and encouragement for those who would like to participate.

1. Set your own goals and share them here if you want and when you want.
2. When you are on your walk/hike and if you take a picture, please feel free to share your own photos. (No copyright issues when it is your own shot. :))
3. If you have a favorite park or trail, please feel free to share that if you are comfortable as there might be someone else who would want to check it out.

I'm an urban walker! Not a lot of trails or greenery, but miles and miles of possible routes that go on forever. Sometimes I wonder how much worse shape I'd be in mentally if it didn't take at least ten minutes of walking to do just about anything in my life. I don't have a tracker, but I shoot for about 3 miles a day.

This thread is a great idea!

I don't measure my walks by miles or minutes anymore like I once obsessively attempted to, only by the awe I experience during each one. I refuse to add anymore "smart" technology in my life to prompt me or track me now that I've tapped into my own perceived "smartness" that was there all along, but hadn't ever been healthily or mindfully nurtured. One less external thing to feel pressured to purchase, keep up with, and maintain that I'd eventually lose track of and feel bad for not following through.

I take a walk each morning around our land while practicing deep breathing techniques when the weather cooperates. It's part mountain, part forest, and part flat green meadow. Absolutely breath taking, especially on a sunny morning after a rain fall. All the rain and dew drops appear to be diamonds as the rays of sun put them in the spotlight.

I have bone spurs on each heel, though, and then some, and can't walk for long distances, and if you see me running, you better run, too!! lol So I keep a mini-trampoline on hand to use in case of bad weather when I can't walk outdoors, and I even drag it outside on nice days when the heels hurt too badly to walk. Many days I use it in addition to going on walks. It's a nice low impact chance to still get some fun movement in, regardless of the weather and/or endurance issues, and it's even more fun with the stereo cranked up. Spring mornings, I move it out in between the blooming lilac and dogwood bush, right next to the thyme patch. Aromatherapy straight from nature and purposeful fun movement together....bonus!

I also take note of the animal/insect/feathered friends I encounter along the way and later look up their animal totem meanings. Always a delight. Then I take more walks to the garden, to forage for wild sustenance, essences, and such, to pick up trash along the road, etc. Nature is my lifeline, in more ways than one. Thanks for reminding me why I love it so much.

I love this thread @intothelight and I too am not into technology although I do utilize a Sony Handycam, big canister of pepper spray, cell phone, and charged and ready to use stun gun for safety's sake. However, I don't take pictures of my walks for they are sacred and private and I love walking! To each his/her own. Thank you for this thread. Jade.

Great thread !! I call my time in nature' going to church'. You will never catch me in a real church, as , well, ya'll know what I mean.
It's the only time I feel truly sane. Truly grounded. Truly alive and well. Butterflys are my totem... I will see them in the winter even. I have my own meaning about them, they bring me further peace while I am out and about... something so fragile and I feel so protected by their appearance...

And I am a rock freak.. I have tons of rocks, literally, in my yard. Petrified wood is my special treasurers.... Huge pieces I could barely lift to get them in my car....I even found a 1916 Standing Liberty quarter once... thought I was going to die right there for pure joy of discovery....

Am leaving for Canyon Lake tomorrow for a few days of RnR..... much needed.... won't have wifi but will share when I get back... I still haven't figured out how to post pictures, but if I do, I will share....

Going to love reading this thread.... great idea @intothelight , a much needed earth bound place to lay my weary head.

IMG_2952.JPG
Pic from my walk the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back