• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Therapist statement..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defaultxlove

MyPTSD Pro
Hello 👋

Frustrated/excited/overwhelmed and had flashbacks yesterday.

T sounded happy to write me a statement about my trauma with the police. However it threw me for a loop when she said just tell me what you want it to say.

She said do you mean affirming the effects of trauma (something like this), I said yeah. This is the part of the conversation I started blanking out because T and I don't always talk about the police but when we do I typically would get upset. That makes sense.

Anyway please help. Is it normal for a therapist to give the option of what they write? I'm paranoid she is tricking me somehow and I know it's my feelings without evidence.

Sounds like she is there to support you. She is going to take her time to write a statement to help you and she wants to write it how you want it.

Do you want to see it before she sends it? Is that possible?

I can imagine this is really tricky as it's your therapist coming into another part of your world. And ensuring your relationship with her is ok through all that. In addition to managing the stress and everything with the police.

i won't speak for therapists, but the question is normal-for-me when asked to write references, legal statements and the like. there are a million kajillion ways to tell any given story and harmonizing with the person i am trying to help soothes me greatly. i believe it is solidly ethical to be on the same sheet of music and singing in the same key.

is that an A sharp or is it a B flat? little things can make big diffs.

It can be incredibly uncomfortable, but for me? It was one of the key differences between seeing a T that was genuinely trauma-informed, and one who wasn't.

My first T used to write reports and letters and all sorts of things about me without requiring any inout from me at all. Made it feel easier in the moment for sure.

My trauma Ts? Always refused to do that. Because it was critical for me and my healing to learn that I am now in control of my life. That includes my recovery. And when I went to the police? It included everything to do with that as well. None of my trauma Ts would write anything about me without (1) my input; and (2) confirming the content was acceptable to me before sharing it.

I have a long history of not having any say in my life. So it was very uncomfortable. Often just weird. But looking back? I'm so grateful to them for giving me that control. Even if I fked things up occasionally - at least the decisions were mine.

Ya - during my fight with the VA, Social security and disability my T's were asked several time to write up statements on how I was funcioning day to day, how therapy was going, what types they were using (EMDR, CBT, etc, blah blah. They never asked what they wanted me to have them right, but they would ask what I was using it for - if that makes sense?

Shes not trying to trick you. She's trying to make sure what she writes matches whatever the "needs" of the reader so you get the best chance of success. And ya, usually that comes down to how trauma is affecting your life today,

I have been pretty tense/up. jaw hurts. nightmare, I was so upset yesterday after the call..wish I could explain how I feel or say all the things I want to say but basically. It was difficult and I again wasn't expecting it to be that difficult for some reason. just something about discussing that with her in the frame of mind ..something to do with concept. & dissociative heavy. been taking xanax

T is going to email me what she writes up. and she suggested the option of waiting until my next session Feb 2nd I believe, to go over it with me. I think I am going to take her advice. She also gave the option to NOT do it during therapy but something in her voice and with how I feel now.

in my nightmare last night I was asking a police officer for help (after overcoming my ick feelings, and he walked off to do drugs with some woman, we were in NYC). Then some scary guy wouldnt leave me alone/harassing/chasing. then I woke up.

Anyway please help. Is it normal for a therapist to give the option of what they write?
In the US it’s required by law.

She cannot release any medical information -including that you’re in therapy, much less why, or the details- without your express consent, or a court order.

That this is information to become part of the public &/or police record? Is like making sure to use your turn indicators and come to a complete stop at intersections, with a cop behind you…. X1,000. She could lose her license and be sued to kingdom come, for breaking confidentiality, if you don’t sign off on every aspect of that statement.

((Even if you were murdered, the police would still have to get a warrant for ANY information, and most of the time they’re not granted. Instead a second licensed professional would be assigned to read through your file and then only relay the absolute minimum, possible.))

If you’re in the US? You’re not being tricked. You’re being protected.

She can be excited/enthusiastic to write the statement, but she still needs your consent and approval.

Last edited:
Hello 👋

T sounded happy to write me a statement about my trauma with the police. However it threw me for a loop when she said just tell me what you want it to say.

She said do you mean affirming the effects of trauma (something like this), I said yeah. This is the part of the conversation I started blanking out because T and I don't always talk about the police but when we do I typically would get upset. That makes sense.

Anyway please help. Is it normal for a therapist to give the option of what they write? I'm paranoid she is tricking me somehow and I know it's my feelings without evidence.
Yes it is typical.
It sounds as if she needs to know from you what is applicable from your history, treatment and/or condition the person for whom the statement is intended needs. She likely also wants to know what you think/feel you need to say.
And of course, at least for me, every time I go back over something I get upset. Over time my distress has lessened overall and some areas are not even triggered.

Hello 👋

Whoops...should have recommended you ask her why she asked and what she means, I myself think up what they think however don't even dare to ask or listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back