1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapist unaware of hospitalization

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by Dootdoot, Jul 13, 2018 at 11:09 AM.

1. Dootdoot

Dootdoot New Member

Hey,
    So I had my first visit with my therapist today since my suicide attempt and she acted like she had no clue and just carried on the session from the prev. Appt notes. I was too scared to bring it up and ended up going along with the regular visit discussion of dissociation.
    I was in hospital for 3 days and Inpatient unit 1 week, so does noone contact your therapist during that time I take it?
    It just would have been much easier if she brought it up to discuss.
    Thank you.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Teamwork

Teamwork Active Member

I think they only get contacted if you sign the paper that says they can talk to your therapist. So in a sense if you didn’t request it and didn’t sign a consent to have the t called it did not happen. I’d email your t if allowed and just ask or let her know

Sietz likes this.
  4. Dootdoot

Dootdoot New Member

Emailing might work, i did give both hospitals the name of clinic and signed release with therapists name tho.. /shrug just seemed odd.

Sietz likes this.
  5. Lucycat

Lucycat "Wisdom begins in wonder." ~ Socrates ~ Premium Member Donated

Firstly they need to know that you actually have a therapist and all the contact details. Here if the therapist is not a part of the NHS they would be unlikely to make contact, unless you asked them to. However I am surprised that a family member had not contacted your therapist on your behalf while you were still inpatient so they could liaise about the support you would need upon discharge.

When I ended up inpatient some years ago following an overdose my husband informed my T and he came to see me the day I was discharged home to set up a new safety plan.

Sietz likes this.
  6. Justmehere

Justmehere Help support myPTSD - more info in Social forum Moderator Premium Member

Hospitals are not required to let your therapist know. It is good if they loop a therapist in, especially to create a solid discharge plan after an attempt.

What's holding you back from letting her know yourself?

Lucycat and EveHarrington like this.
Show Sidebar