• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Therapy Apps / Aids

Sideways

I’ve had great results using different Apps to help me get across different skills over the years.

Right now, I’m looking for something akin to a Habit app, particularly one geared towards routine check-ins for grounding, mindfulness or even a basic “how are you feeling”. Preferably something that I can add a few notes into, probably a few times a day.

Is anyone using (have used) apps with success for developing that kind of habit in their day? The last time I did routine daily checkins I created a spreadsheet, and I’m thinking that an App would probably do a better job.

I think there are a couple of good DBT based apps around, but I know there’s a lot of annoying, time-consuming junk around in the Habit Tracker apps department as well. So any good/bad feedback would be awesome:)

I've been using pixels for a year or so. Tis very simple, simply keeps a record of my overall mood for the day. Helps me see when I'm sliding.

Be interested to hear what apps others suggest.

Have been using Finch for a week or 2. I don't like the cutesy aspects to it, but like how much you can customize it.

I love Daylio. It’s specifically a mood tracking app, but it’s super customizable and you can add in all kinds of goals and reminders and it has a journal feature (free write or utilize various templates, or create your own). You can make it simple or more complex based on your needs and it includes all kinds of customizable activities, I can even track when my parts are around. What I love most is all the data it gives you. I nerd out over the data!! Lots of stats and graphs, weekly and annual reports, and it gives you tons of ways to analyze the data based on specific moods or activities, etc. I’ve been using it for 2 years now and it’s helped me soo much. It is super user friendly.

The only drawback is the paid version is $20 annually (there is a free version I think). Although to me it’s a nominal fee for as much as I’ve been able to get out of it these last few years.

Check it out!

Clarity won the challenge! I could definitely do without the affirmations (!), but the format is very useful for me. Simple checkin, with the ability to do a little journaling when I need/want to.

Like the additional gratitude prompting, which I did need to get back in the habit of doing.

Thanks guys!

I’ve had great results using different Apps to help me get across different skills over the years.

Right now, I’m looking for something akin to a Habit app, particularly one geared towards routine check-ins for grounding, mindfulness or even a basic “how are you feeling”. Preferably something that I can add a few notes into, probably a few times a day.

Is anyone using (have used) apps with success for developing that kind of habit in their day? The last time I did routine daily checkins I created a spreadsheet, and I’m thinking that an App would probably do a better job.

I think there are a couple of good DBT based apps around, but I know there’s a lot of annoying, time-consuming junk around in the Habit Tracker apps department as well. So any good/bad feedback would be awesome:)
I've been using Dailyo. It's customizable so you can change things as they come up, or are no longer needed. It also backs up to a Google account.

I will just ask here instead of creating my own thread

After an episode I usually have to do damage contro(mostly from texts I send) Is there an app that can prevent me from using my phone ( other than emergency situations)?

Are there apps that can somehow alert me to the fact that I'm beginning to spiral?

Hoping for a miracle here I guess

Is there an app that can prevent me from using my phone ( other than emergency situations)?
An app for your phone, to stop you using your phone? That’s tough.

There’s ways you can get your phone to encourage you to put it down (focus periods, sleep mode, etc), but they’re based on a time setting, which isn’t helpful for dysregulation that occurs from triggers.

I’d probably go an alternative route, an work on identifying your triggers. CBT and journalling apps are going to help you with that.
Are there apps that can somehow alert me to the fact that I'm beginning to spiral?
Depends what ‘spiraling’ looks like for you.

Emotional dysregulation from triggers is really hard. I’d probably use DBT to troubleshoot that. Skills that you use to (literally) make yourself STOP. DBT is evidence-based treatment for BPD, which is all about fast moving, mega emotions that need regulation superpowers. It can be immensely helpful, but a little mechanistic and difficult for people who really need interpersonal connection in therapy.

It has been adapted (trauma-focused DBT) for people with trauma. Which I imagine is pretty damn helpful. Although I’ve not actually done the trauma-focused version myself. I didn’t enjoy doing DBT, I don’t think anyone does. But it can be extremely helpful.

I do use symptom trackers to monitor my depression and ptsd symptoms. The ptsd symptoms I use PTSD Coach, which is pretty straightforward. It has some Symptom Management aids. And it’s all free. So prob worth a look.

I did most of my Identifying Triggers work before mental health apps were really a thing. So I actually used the old paper and pen method. I made a list of behaviours, thoughts and emotional symptoms that were really common for me day to day, gave them all a colour, and then added colours to my diary to show which symptoms I experienced when.

That was so helpful that I kept it up every day for 7 months straight. By the end, I knew my symptoms inside out, had a very clear picture of when they were getting worse (time to start interventions) and how to manage that.

I imagine there are apps that could help you with that these days, but I don’t know which ones to suggest.

Mental Health apps have come a long way. Most of the good ones offer a 7 day trial before you need to pay anything, and there’s plenty of reviews online to give you an idea of which ones are worth trying and which ones aren’t.

Back