• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Therapy Question - Using Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

OntCopper

New Here
Hi..

I'm about to start therapy next week. This type of therapy involves drawing of pictures (or in my case "stick men"). I dont know all of the details yet, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before?

Its usually used for children and adolescents but the therapist feels it would be a "good fit" in my case.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't heard of it, but maybe someone else has. I would be very interested to hear how it goes though if you do not mind sharing with us. We all seem to have a little variety to our thearpy.

Its generally the use of images to help decipher the realism of an event. For example, some people cannot, will not put into words what has occured, but they will draw the events and let the counsellor work it out for themselves, with nothing more than a shake of the head for yes or no from the patient. Pictures in therapy are good.

It can also be very useful for depicting your feelings when you are unable to verbalize how you felt or feel. I've taken a few courses on counselling that involve this method. It works quite well to help you learn how to verbalize and to explain how you feel and what is going on.

Bec

Hi,

I've been asked by my counsellor to draw my memories etc...I guess the fact that I went through a war as a child made it difficult for me to recognize or articulate what I was feeling...and I also have trouble opening up. I did try drawing but gave up on it because it started triggering me...still, on a couple of occasions it was easier to sort of just show the counsellor what I drew and, as Anthony said, just kind of nod in response to her. I hope that helps. Good luck.

If have seen this only for children but you did go threw it when you where a child. Sounds like its working to good......

Thanks bec... I left that bit out in mine, rushing again. Doh!

An example of relating feeling to images, is actually the [DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread63.html"]PTSD Cup[/DLMURL] explanation here, in which my therapist did with me to describe what stressors are doing within me, being emotions building anger with PTSD present.

Last edited:
Therapy Question - Pictures

Thanks for the info group. Sounds interesting. The therapist promised not to laugh at my "stick men". I'll let you know how it goes. She said it will be about a 12 week session.

:claps:

Thanks for the info group. Sounds interesting. The therapist promised not to laugh at my "stick men". I'll let you know how it goes. She said it will be about a 12 week session.

:claps:

Sounds good Ont. I'm sure if you seen my stick men you would laugh yourself silly!:crazy-eye

Bec

More about Art Therapy...

When I've done drawings that did not even include people....the group would use pastel [artist's] chalks to color mood....or any design the person wanted...or was selected by the therapist....nobody needed to be an artist....One person was concerned with using the colors when we did water coloring....I suggested that he just dip his brush in water and just move it all over the paper and get the feel of it...that helped him and before group was over he tried a couple of colors:thumbs-up ....Hopefully you can take it slow!!...KEEPING THE PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back