• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Therapy, slowing memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digz

MyPTSD Pro
I've been dealing with a lot of new flashback and memories lately. My T and I are working on processing them but they have been coming so frequently and with so much power the last couple of weeks, it's impacting my ability to function as a teacher and a mother. We have decided to try and slow the memory emergence if we can. Still deal with them, not avoid them, but try and limit processing them to one or two days a week in an attempt to allow me to function okay on other days.

Does anyone have any suggestions or strategies that might help to slow or delay memories/flashbacks for a short period of time?

Honestly, my T and I are not sure how well it will work, if at all, but figure it is worth a try. Otherwise, it is coming to a stage where I will have to cut back on work and I really don't want to do that. Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

My T suggested I just tell myself "I don't want to think about that right now, I'll (or we, if it's a part talking, which it is) talk about that later, we'll make space for it, but right now I want to do XYZ".
It sort of works.
It's working when a part of me wants to look up one of my abusers on the internet. I just tell that part "we don't need to do that", and the urge goes away.
When it doesn't work, is when I'm already overwhelmed. It's getting to it before it takes over, and then it's about maintaining that state as the feelings/memories resurface or are 'just there' nearly becoming overwhelming again.
But I have to say, at times (when it works), I have been quite amazed how something as simple as saying "not right now" works. Because it's acknowledging there is something to think about but making the time right for me. My part gets heard and validated but the here and now me gets to do my thing.

I don't know if that will help you or if you already do that. But that is my only strategy at the moment!

I really worked hard on meditation then I was able to put my stuff on a ship and send it to sea for a while. When I am ready, I visualize it docking like one of those big container ships, and I unpack a container and open it up and work on it. Then, when I am done I send it back to sea. Some people do space ships and send it to space. Packing it up for a while isn't avoidance which I am an expert at avoiding things so I am aware and careful that I don't make the mistake to avoid. Hope this helps!

Me and my T worked on something similar to what @Movingforward10 mentions . It did work a little and i would have good periods and then back to it taking over . We then decided to approach it a different way and worked on how they affect me, how i can manage them. Its still tough but i find sometimes i can just sit there and say ‘come on flashback ... do your worst’ ... and you know what it rarely can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back