• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Therapy? Venting Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking_Nirvana

MyPTSD Pro
For some reason I've only had one therapist who has ever done me any good. (I've seen about 12 in my life time) She was a friend of my aunts and worked mostly with children. She is retired now, but I quit going to her when I quit drinking and all of the other bad habits I had. We never discussed my traumas in detail.

I didn't go to therapy for about 10 years and I just started last year and I'm on my 3rd doctor. The first two were just med management docs and that made me mad because I couldn't afford to see a therapist and a med management doc, so I got a psychotherapist.

I have a hard time making it to my appointments because his time is so expensive, and I don't' feel I get much out of it. I like this guy so far, but he is a resident and brand new. I believe he will move on soon so why invest my time and money on him?

I go to a free rape crisis clinic, but I am not connecting with that therapist. Maybe it's me because I don't talk much and I give up on them to easy. I just don't know?

I don't know what to do, but I feel I need to find a doctor and stick with him/her.

I'm sure no one knows the answer to this so maybe it's just a vent thread.

Tammy

Tammy,

I understand what you are going through. It's so hard to find a therapist that you connect with on all levels. It's just hard to find that, and searching through to find one is draining.

I am struggling right now myself. I had a great therapist, he is now head of the substance abuse center here where I live. He has no time to give individual therapy sessions. I know it's time to go back to therapy, but the thought of finding a therapist is daunting.

I hope that your search is quick, and easy.

I believe he will move on soon so why invest my time and money on him?

Why don't you tell him this concern? He may be willing to discuss his plans, such as he knows them, to you.

I was going to ask him what his plans were and how long he intended on staying at my next appointment.

I will stick with him until he leaves, but it just suck thinking that I will have to start all over again when I'm just now getting used to him.

My insurance keeps screwing up and not paying my bills and that is just adding to the aggravation. I have a bill for $600. as it stands, and wont have an income after my unemployment runs out at the end of January. eh!

Thanks
Tamm

I believe that it is the therapists job to connect with you on the levels you need. The reason I say this is because I just left a therapist who was really wonderful to come back home and try live as normally as I can. He was great. He understood that I needed reassurance while I was trying to go to school and stuff. I could call him and either reach him at that time or be assured that he would call me back as soon as possible with "It's going to be okay. Breathe."
I am home now and starting with a new therapist. I am still in contact with the old. I have seen the new guy once, but have had to put a few calls into him.(I still call the old one) The new therapist calls me back but not as quick or with the same understanding. but it gives me hope. Therapy is hard anyway, I mean, I start crying before I even get there.
So, through all this rambling, what I am trying to say is that you deserve a therapist who understands and does his/her job. That being to be there for you . If they don't understand that, it won't work for you. The state you are in should have rehabilitation services that might include this kind of help.
Anyway, I wish you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back