• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Tips for coping when overly sensitive due to lack of sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fadeaway

MyPTSD Pro
Everything is so much harder when you are sleep deprived. I am really oversensitive to touch and sound right now. I feel overwhelmed. I need space to decompress but my husband is being super clingy. I have no where to go and he is feeling like he isn't welcome and the more symptomatic I feel the more he is pushing.

Sleep has been impossible lately. The problem is multi-fold. Stressors, health, anxiety. I can't really sleep at night since my husbands snoring is getting really bad. During the day, my apartment building is really loud and the earplugs I have seem to suck. The don't block the snoring or the noise from outside.

I can't change my environment so I need cope with the physical over stimulation. I think I am doing ok managing the mental part, had intrusive thoughts earlier but I think I have a handle on that.

Also, does anyone else get weird physical sensations when sleep deprived, like they want to crawl out of their skin. It's not pain exactly but horribly uncomfortable physical sensation. Different from the discomfort from anxiety as well.

Yes, I get that weird physical sensation too...like my skin is lifting off my body or something...and like I feel like one giant prickly goosebump!

Have you tried resting without a pressure to sleep? ie laying in a dark room, focusing on resting your body, relaxing your muscles etc?

My partner bought some hardcore titanium ear plugs - much better than the usual foam/silicone ones, apparently. May be worth a look?

Ok, so I have struggled with insomnia for about 5 years now due to reactions to the drugs meant to treat insomnia!
Yes I know what that too sensitive feeling feels like.
Here is my advice:
1. Problem solve. You gotta get some good sleep hygiene. I sleep alone. My snoring husband sleeps down stairs. We cuddle nightly. Can he sleep else where even temporarily?
White noise is great. Hot baths with epsom salts, hot tea.
2. My second point-practice extreme self care. Nourish your self. Tolerate the discomfort. Know that it will pass.
3. So, you will sleep. Insomnia comes in waves. You will have a good sleep night soon. There is a pattern. You can wait for the bout of insomnia to pass because it will if you are passive. Practice radical acceptance.
4. Go for a very long walk or swim even though you are sleep deprived. Do this anyways it will help.
5. I like magnesium glycimate powder. I mix it in with night night tea.
6. Also acupunture for sleep.

I hope I did not overwhelm you.
Remember your body can handle sleep deprivation until it passes.

I just become sick to my stomach and a real bitch when I’m sleep deprived. Is it at all possible for you(or him) to make up a bed on the couch or floor of a different room to sleep???? How about a blowup mattress for emergencies. I bought one and it only cost $39 and well worth the money. Plugs in, and blows up in a few minutes. And it’s comfy.

I did acupuncture for the fist time in January after I was diagnosed with the prolactinoma. It helped me relax but I still couldn't sleep. I did two days in a row.It was a community acupuncture where you only pay what you can afford. Neat set up, but there are about 7-10 other people at any given time. Everyone else in the room fell asleep. Not me, I just meditated. So, it does seem to help most people.

Longest I have gone is 9 days without sleeping. Not a single wink. 3-5 days seems to be the normal. It was 5 days this time. It was bad when I was single. My husband just makes it worse. I have problem solved to the best of my ability. I can't control his actions and flat out refused to give me any space and due to lack of money other alternative weren't financially possible.

The other problem is I can't unclinch my muscles to save my life. When I am tired that discomfort I mentioned with my skin is really aggravated 2-3 nights with out sleep and it becomes unbearable to touch anything with my skin. So while I can't sleep, it is the physical discomfort that needs to be addressed because once that starts there is no sleeping until my body stops what ever it is you want to call what it does. I don't have a name for it so it is hard to describe to anyone. Impossible to sleep when you can't even uncurl your toes and skin on your arms and hands can't handle the feeling of fabric on it's skin so can't find a comfortable position to lie in. Not to mention my sense of smell is amped up to an annoying level that the lingering smell of laundry soap on the bedding smells like you are sticking your nose straight in the bottle. (even the unscented still has a smell) I really don't think there isn't anything I haven't tried for sleep.

So, really it is the overwhelming too sensitive to stand physical stuff I need help with. I can handle the mental stuff side effects of not sleeping just knowing it is the lack of sleep, and I don't really hallucinate just visual disturbances in depth perception and stuff. Hope that makes sense. Anyways I slept 4 hours last night so I should be able to sleep more tonight.

I suspect that I do, I even wonder about Lyme disease due to hundreds of tick bites I got as a kid in an area it was bad, but I have never been able to get a diagnosis. I have seen multiple Dr.s in 3 different states. I'll get this burning sensation in my muscles like lactic acid burn that you get from heavy exercise, only I will be laying in bed not moving.

Didn't sleep again last night. I just want to cry now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back