• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Tips For Getting The Possibility Of Ddnos Screened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect I may have DDNOS, and I want to get my suspicion evaluated by a professional once I have insurance again, but I tend to have bad luck with people in any kind of medical profession, and they don't take well to me implying a problem that I have valid concern for. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about it without them acting like I'm trying to self diagnose?

I usually drag diagnostic manuals of whatever it is / textbooks, with me.

Point to the 'look doc, I've got ___ symptom, manifesting in ____ way, am I correct in thinking it's pointing to this or do I got this wrong altogether?'

Implying I trust their judgment and expertise. Which I don't. But there's hope.

Yep, that's a good idea I think.

Bring what gave you the idea, spell out what in your life relates to that & duration of how long that something has been an issue and in which situations, and don't walk away until you hear more, have next appointments scheduled, or have references to someone who is competent in the area in case this person isn't.

Spell it out symptoms that are bothersome to them. I like to give word pictures.

Like for instance: my chief complaint was losing time and lost and confused. An example that scared me I can recall specifically was making cookies for my daughter. I knew I needed to get out of bed and make a goal for the day, so I decided to make cookies.

I got out of bed, and forgot what I was doing. Took me 30 mins to remember then grabbed the recipe finally. While making cookies I kept losing my place and got distracted.

Next thing you know, 2 hours past and I had cookies in the oven.

But that's as far as I got. By the time I realized reality, I went to get the cookies out of the oven and realize I never turned on the oven. When I pulled them out I realized I missed 1/2 the ingredients.

This scared me and prompted me to get help.

It was with word pictures and telling my doctor the symptoms that concerned me I was able to get diagnosed and get the proper treatment. But it really took being aware of what was bothering me and finding inconsistencies.

When you get insurance, call around on the provider list of in network provider (they should provide this to you) and find a doctor or psychologist with experience with PTSD. They can give you a screening test (multiple choice, pretty short) called the DES - dissociative experiences scale. That will give them hard and fast info that should compel them to take your symptoms seriously. More info on that screening tool can be found here:
http://traumadissociation.com/des

Spell it out symptoms that are bothersome to them. I like to give word pictures.

Like for...

This type of "forgetfulness" led to a dx of ddnos or did? I'm assuming you also have "parts" that you're co-conscious with or so-called emotional parts?

I experience similar "forgetfulness" frequently but no true memory loss except for gaps in my memory from childhood and adolescence. My T has mentioned that I seem to have "different personalities" as well and I experience them too. I also derealize and depersonalize as well as have intrusive thoughts and actions that are not who I know myself to be. I have a feeling T is aware but is treading lightly about the possibility of any dissociative disorder.

My current dx is PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back