Tips for journaling when dissociative

Rikki

New Here
I’m new to the site and wondering if anyone has any tips for allowing journal writing to happen when you are prone to dissociation. I am currently in both regular therapy and specialized therapy for chronic pain and have a daily homework assignment of journaling but have found that I have a difficult time getting there on days where I’m struggling more and therefore dissociating to some degree. I find that I have no idea what to write about, or on the occasions when I can come up with something, I can’t seem to keep enough of a stream of thought going to continue writing through the allotted time (which is supposed to be for a minimum of 10 minutes). I just realized the fact that dissociation is a factor here and have been trying to focus on being in my body and doing things like noting, and naming something I can see, feel, hear, etc. but still find that I’m hitting a wall when it comes to letting things flow out onto the paper. Any tips/ideas would be appreciated.

Ireusa

Confident
I too struggle with dissociation so I look forward to reading the responses you'll get.

Have you tried grounding right before journaling and once you are a bit more settled try to answer a prompt? Maybe it could be something specific (it always helps me if it is more specific rather than broad as I tend to space out more then).

I sometimes just write what I'm doing for grounding while I'm journaling: I live in xyz, I'm xyz years d, I am a (job), I am in my house, I see blah blah blah...

OK , I was trying to talk about xyz when I spaced out. Let's look back at it.

(And I include that in my journaling).

Sending love 💜.

Rikki

New Here
I too struggle with dissociation so I look forward to reading the responses you'll get.

Have you tried grounding right before journaling and once you are a bit more settled try to answer a prompt? Maybe it could be something specific (it always helps me if it is more specific rather than broad as I tend to space out more then).

I sometimes just write what I'm doing for grounding while I'm journaling: I live in xyz, I'm xyz years d, I am a (job), I am in my house, I see blah blah blah...

OK , I was trying to talk about xyz when I spaced out. Let's look back at it.

(And I include that in my journaling).

Sending love 💜.
Thanks for your reply and suggestions, Ireusa. I really only tried the five senses exercise, breathing, and body scan/noting for grounding purposes. I am currently trying to find a few different examples of ways to ground to add to my repertoire so that they become more second nature and I don’t have to “search” for them when I’m needing to ground in the moment. I will try your suggestion of writing basic info when I’m not sure where to start.
Thanks again, I appreciate the 💜!