1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To tell my parents about child sex abuse?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by TommySunlight, Jul 13, 2018 at 7:11 PM.

1. TommySunlight

TommySunlight Active Member

im a 26 year old male who at the age of 8 was molested by an older boy and then again at the age of 13 was defiled by a 20s something male who threatened me with a knife...I have only recently told my therapist about the first instance but haven't felt comfortable yet talking about the second. I'm writing this because lately may parents have been on my case a lot about why I'm staying home all the time, not sleeping or eating, chain smoking,etc as many of these memories and symptoms seemed to be much more tolerable when I was taking adderal and Zoloft which I stopped(now on Lexapro). My whole life I have been afflicted by panic disorder, hypersensitivity, extreme fear of humiliation and rejection, lonlieness, depression,OCD,self harm and self medication. Only recently after some other stressful events did I start looking into PTSD/CPTSD, I have tried distancing myself from these events for so long.but currently I'm very conflicted as I don't know if I should tell my parents who were very easy going and loving growing up about what because I don't want to cause them pain but I want them to understand.

Living in the 70s likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Living in the 70s

Living in the 70s "Go dté tú slán" Premium Member Donated

Whether you tell them or not is a very personal decision, and I can't really say anything about that.

If you decide to tell them then IIwould suggest that you work through with your trauma therapist the best case outcomes and the worst case outcomes of telling your parents. This means you are prepared for your parents being in shock and saying unhelpful things and/or being supportive and saying helpful things. You don't know how your parents will respond.

LuckiLee, TommySunlight and scout86 like this.
  4. EveHarrington

EveHarrington _______ in progress. Premium Member

How would you be causing them pain?

TommySunlight likes this.
  5. TommySunlight

TommySunlight Active Member

being a burden causing them distress

6. EveHarrington

EveHarrington _______ in progress. Premium Member

My point is that YOU didn’t do that. Your abuser did.

Show Sidebar