• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

OCD Today i realized i may have some ocd

Status
Not open for further replies.

physicist13

Confident
We were talking about various neurological disorders in anatomy class today, and one of them was OCD. I knew what OCD, and even after hearing the symptoms multiple times before and thinking about it, I considered this one of the mental health disorders I clearly did not have.
However, I took a couple of online assessments after someone presented on it, and all of them said I have enough symptoms to qualify as having OCD.
I don't turn on and off the lights or wash my hands until they bleed, but I do sometimes get stuck in repetitive thought spirals.
For example, I often think about what if I accidentally hit an animal or pedestrian while driving (this is a frequent fear of mine). Although I am sometimes messy (largely because I'm too depressed to clean), at my best I am quite hyper organized and have a spot for everything. I also sometimes get stuck on a word or a sound and say it over and over again very quickly (not because it has any significance, just because I want to).

I'm not sure if I actually have OCD, or if some of the symptoms of PTSD are just mimicking OCD/ I just kind of have an odd and unique personality. Thoughts? Anyone have experience with something similar?

I had OCD for ahwile, and it was a little atypical. It took time to figure it out, and was very much linked with PTSD. They are both anxiety based disorders. I'd suggest getting a good workup by a therapist to see if you have OCD or another condition. Self screening is good, but self diagnosis can lead people in the wrong direction.

The good thing is that OCD is super duper treatable and has very high rates of full recovery.

I had OCD for ahwile, and it was a little atypical. It took time to figure it out, and was very much...
Unfortunately I don't really have access to a therapist at the moment.
Also, I know self diagnosis is controversial, but I have yet to misdiagnose myself. Everything I have known I had (anorexia, dyslexia, ADHD, PTSD, depression, etc.) was later confirmed by a professional after I had kind of already figured out the table myself.

I'd suggest looking into a few self helps books. They can't do much harm if you don't have OCD, and it could help a lot. One that helped me is "Brain Lock: Free Yourself from Obessive Compulsive Behavior" by Jeffery Schwartz. It was recommended to me by a trauma therapist with a ton of experience with OCD and similar disorders and is based on a well studied UCLA developed treatment program.

The thing about OCD type behaviors is that it will be uncomfortable to not work on it, and uncomfortable to work on it, until it starts getting better - and this is where overlap with PTSD is actually a good thing. Many of the skills that can be used to manage PTSD can be used to help tolerate the distress of OCD and even reduce symptoms.

OCD itself requires few other things.

It could also be a quirky personality, but if the quirks bother you, I'd suggest trying out a few self help options and see if it helps. It might be one way to get more clarity on what's going on for you.

I have had OCD since i was 7 or 8. diagnosed in my 20s. I had rituals, compulsions and intrusive thoughts. intense fear if i couldn't do my rituals or was interrupted doing them. Also i had to ask for reassurance all the time? i questioned everything. my parents were exasperated with me and i was lectured for being so difficult. but if i couldnt ask the question or get the answers i wanted i would panic. I could nopt have my posessins touched or moved and would ban anyone from going in my room until i got told off. As an adult i am the opposite of neat and tidy- i don't care.Different obsessions surfaced- religion is an obsession, fear of hell and seeing visions of hell. checking for reassurance that i am still accepted by God and saved. fear that my guinea pigs would die if i sinned or that God was punishing me. Having to check the door is locked or unlocked. fears regarding money, frire, health etc. convinved i am dying of a serious illness and no one is telling me. intrusive sexual thoughts. feelings of contaminating people if they get to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back