• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Natural Disaster Tornadoes Are My #1 Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunarlove131

New Here
When I was little girl (3-7) I lived in Nashville and Franklin, TN (Had to homes one in each.) There were at least 10 warnings a year as far as i can remember. It was the most terrifying thing for me having to live through that.
I now live and have lived in NC since i was 7. There have been 2 tornadoes in the past 10 years. I know that is a very low number compared to TN but we also have A LOT of severe storms. Anytime there is slightly high wind or gray clouds i start to freak out. My attacks at the best is just constantly checking the weather radar. At it's worst My stomach is going haywire, I have a panic attack, I run to the safest part of the house and nonstop look at the radar, and I am 100% that I am going to die. I can't help it I've tried calming myself down and using my logical side of my brain but it doesn't work. It is so embarrassing to be a 17 year old and still freak out anywhere I am. I have had people tell me I am overreacting and I need to get over it. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. It is a crippling fear that just takes over whenever it is not sunny and wind free.

Welcome, @Lunarlove131. I share the same fear. I've been through lots of human-induced traumatic experiences, but I don't think any of them scared me as much as one particular tornado warning we had late one night. I shook uncontrollably. I just knew something bad was very nearby. Hubby saw something out the basement window and still will not tell me what he saw. I've since had recurring nightmares about tornadoes striking, most recently two nights ago.

Have you tried therapy? It can help in managing your fear and anxiety.

Also, preparedness: after that horrendous experience, every spring I prepare a cooler, keep it stocked with ice, fresh water for drinking, cheese, bread, deli meat, etc. and keep it right by the basement door. Also keep old jugs filled with water, toilet paper, candles and matches in the basement, along with a radio with batteries. And whenever there's even a tornado watch I constantly keep track of where our three cats are so we can scoop them up and drag them to the basement just in case. This might sound like hyper-preparedness, but if the worst happens and the house collapses or blows away without breaching the basement, it will help us survive.

Yeah, but that would limit her to the Rocky Mountains and the West Coast. And it's hard to move somewhere you don't know anybody. Most of the continental U.S. has to deal with tornadoes once in awhile. I think it's good to just deal with them and protect yourself as much as possible. Plus out there, you have wildfires and earthquakes. This earth is full of natural dangers.

i actually just recently moved to a different part of the state so now i have a basement to run and hide to. We rarely ever get tornadoes but there are a lot of thunderstorms and it is just as bad for me.

@hodge I also when there is bad weather I have my cat next to me just in case i have to rush her and myself into the basement. I know she is the first thing I would grab if the situation came to be.

I'm so glad you're in a place with a basement now, @Lunarlove131! That really helps add to a sense of security.

I know it's still probably fairly warm in NC, but hopefully your tornado season is over or just about over this year?

@hodge Yes i love the basement it makes me feel a little bit better and yeah it should be over soon but through the weekend weather is supposed to be horrible because of all the tornadoes in the south

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back