• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Trapped in a realm of surreality

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumbles

Confident
Now that sounds super melodramatic.

I recently felt a very strange shift in my brain. Dissociation is nothing new to me, it seems to be a constant, but I have usually just experienced it as being "spaced out" and getting lost easily.

However, over the past couple weeks, it's gone into overdrive. I spend all of my waking time taking careful consideration of every sound I hear, every object I see, connecting everything very slowly in a weirdly intensive dreamlike analytic.. trance. Moving so slowwww, talking so slowww. People staring at me with weird looks in public.

I'm having trouble communicating with people, to the point where everyone I talk to is asking me if I am okay. I think I am okay. My driving and working are suffering though.

There isn't any overwhelming negativity or anxiety, and I haven't recently encountered any triggers that I know of. But it is honestly pretty debilitating if I am expected to do anything but follow noises or stare at things that catch my attention for a minute and try to understand what reality is. And reality isn't even anything. I honestly feel like I am in a neverending dream, or deeep in the zone I enter when I try to make something of art at a gallery. But I can not snap out of it.

I know it probably sounds ridiculous and like I am just whining about something stupid, but it's really really intense and kind of freaking me out.

Anyone else familiar with this feeling? Or have any advice?

I have been there for sure.. I had insomnia for a long time a number of years ago and I felt similarly. There was an unreality about everything.

Getting enough sleep, for a start.

Grounding.

And switching to the other pace. If everything is too slow? To something fast (and safe) until I get out of those zaps. (I do not mean driving. Or any other activities at which I could hurt others. Me is fair game in my book, but do not recommend either, as I know it is not healthy.)

Not encouraging that existentialism for the time. As in do not give a damn about reality or a nature of the universe, it will be there after I learn how to not stare at clouds too.

Thinking of things as Not That Interesting. Just a noise. Just a light. Just a flicker. Nothing to see here, time to move to something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back