• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Trauma based cbt vs exposure therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gs172003

MyPTSD Pro
I am thinking about switching therapists to one that shares my faith. But... The one I'm seeing is a psychotherapist and uses exposure therapy. The new one as far as I know is a standard therapist that uses trauma based cbt. What do I do?

I am thinking about switching therapists to one that shares my faith. But... The one I'm seeing is a psy...
Just my opinion, but if I had a choice of someone who understands my basics of faith, I would go to that person. There are things that I believe that are in conflict with some of the therapy I'm in. So, I have to navigate between my standards of faith and that of a more worldly view of treatment. To have the freedom to discuss your faith in light of your therapy and perhaps have to option to pray together about issues, would be a huge plus.

The other thing that my husband pointed out is my current therapist has a trauma history. She was in the war in Croatia and had to live in refugee camps. Should that outweigh the faith issue or the faith issue outweigh the trauma background? ( Mind you I have no idea the background of the new person)

I don't know. I saw someone who professed to have PTSD, and cured herself through exposure therapy needing only 12 weeks of therapy. She was unkind and a little snotty. Ugh, judgement words. She wasn't a good fit for me. I don't believe you get cured from this, you manage it. I don't think it was the "trauma" background that made her not a good fit for me. I prefer CBT.

I don't see how anybody with PTSD could sit and deal with hearing people talk about their traumas all day

...you mean like... here? ;)

For true, though, people have different avocations & callings in life.

She was in the war in Croatia and had to live in refugee camps. Should that outweigh the faith issue or the faith issue outweigh the trauma background?

Neither, IMO.

Personally, I find people who have the same or similar trauma background as I do infinitely easier to work with & learn from. But that’s me, and I only know it because I’ve been in both situations. Someone else, could very easily find the opposite true. Or find it doesn’t matter at all for them, or not matter anywhere near so much as some other factor in play.

To find out what works best for you? Is one of those things you’ll have to experience firsthand.

It’s also unlikely to be as simple as ticking boxes off on a list. Instead there will be multiple factors in play, and playing off each other, that determines good fit, much less best fit.

I don't know. My therapist shares my faith. That was one reason I agreed to set up an assessment meeting in the first place.

At the time, my faith was completely messed up. I'm not even sure who I was more angry with. Those who caused the trauma or God? I still wrestle with that.

I think one important factor in the choice of a therapist is the fit. The chemistry has to be right. Faith or not, if it's not the right fit, it won't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back