• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Medical Traumatizing accident and nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtbarnes

New Here
I'm not sure if the issues that I am dealing with are PTSD, anxiety or would be labeled something else entirely. Lately I have been experiencing nightmares and some other issues. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist coming up soon, but wanted to get an idea of what I can expect ahead of time. When I was 18, I was in a bad accident while doing farm work for a summer job. I broke my arm and leg when a tractor operator accidentally backed over me. It was very traumatizing at the time. I remember not knowing whether I would be able to walk again due to the sight of my leg hanging there along with my other injuries. This accident required a couple of surgeries and over a year of rehabilitation.

I am 35 now, but in my early thirties I started having some anxieties related to the accident. My nightmares occur around 2-4 times a week. The nightmares are usually about my bones being broken or being at the site of an accident. I still work part time around machinery and I keep getting increasing anxiety, especially if I am working around loud noises. I also get extra worried about vehicle safety and refrain from any travelings besides to and from work.

I was wondering what to expect as far as a diagnoses and possible treatments for this type of situation. Thanks for any advice.

I am sorry you are going through this! Whether they diagnose it as ptsd or not, the handout that my therapist gave me on emdr therapy seems to fit this type of experience. So if you have options in choosing a therapist, you may want to consider consulting with one that is qualified to do emdr. (T's are typically qualified in a couple of different types of therapy)

It could be PTSD, or it could be another anxiety disorder. It's not uncommon for symptoms to spring up years after the initial trauma. :hug:

I'm not sure if the issues that I am dealing with are PTSD, anxiety or would be labeled something else...

mtbarnes, I'm not a Doc, but it sure smells and tastes like PTSD to me. That was an extremely traumatic event. You were at risk of not walking again, or worse. That's definitely a big, big stressor. Long term anxiety tied to the accident. Nightmares are a big time indicator. Your sensitivity to loud noises is yet another indicator. Do you have any anger issues associated with the accident? Are your relationships suffering as a result? Do you avoid situations which remind you of the accident? Do you prefer a more isolated living set up? I think you answered in the affirmative on the last two questions. Still effecting you after so many years. You have expressed many of the characteristics of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. If you are not diagnosed with PTSD by your first Doc I would get a second opinion, to make sure. Definitely get professional help. I've have had three bad car accidents in my life, all three gave me serious concussions requiring long term therapy. One of them, it's a miracle I survived. These type of severe accidents that we have had are existential, life changing events. They are not short term anxiety problems. Never the less, mtbarnes, you can overcome most of it with therapy and learning to manage what you have. I have been there, and I am doing well. You the same.:tup: Shalom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back