• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Travel And Car Induced Panic/Rage Attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blarneystone

New Here
I'm really new the entire PTSD experience, was diagnosed less than two months ago and have only had it been affecting my moods and mental health since Nov. 5th. (Date of traumatic experience; easy to remember.)

My "bad day" as it were, circled around a car. As of this date, I haven't been able to drive, or travel long distances for two months. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles all scare the heck out of me. If I am pressured to get into the car, or belittled in anyway I tend to snap and get incredibly anry at the person doing it no matter if they are a good friend or not.

And of course panic, if no one is pressuring me but myself I panic and usually end up making myself sick in one way or another.

My question is; has anyone else suffered from the rage attacks? I spoke to my doctor and she said they were less common, but I'm totally unable to control either of them when they hit. I was wondering if anyone had successfully calmed themselves down, or found ways to calm themselves down.... Heck I want to know if anyone else has been hit with anger instead of panic. I dislike it more than a panic attack, becase I feel more out of control, as though I could bring physical pain upon the person initiating my trigger... Mind you, I haven't brought pain upon anyone, but it is a strong feeling as to do so.

Thanks,
B.S.

Hey Blarneystone,

I can't drive and haven't for sometime now. My fight, flight & freeze response is way to strong to drive safely. However, I do see some day in the future where I will be healthy enough to drive. What I would need to do first is to take lessons. I know how to drive, but even if my symptoms were under control, my lack of confidence would most likely impair my judgement. So that's my plan. As for other modes of transport-subways, I pick out a place that's the least crowded, dark and closest to the turnstyle and I stand as far from the tracks as possible. I keep my back to the pit, and I don't turn around until the train has stopped. Air-I take a sedative and avoid if at all possible. Boat-the cats are the best, fastest and smoothest. As for rage, I found anger management classes helpful, though I know others have not-so it's a crap shoot on that one.

Good luck,

clare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back