• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Travel anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAgirl

Learning
Prior to my PTSD dx I planned a trip with my partner. The trip is a week away now and every day closer I get to leaving I start to get more anxious, I don't want to go. I'm starting to get worried Iwhen it comes down to it I won't be able to get on the plane. I can't sleep at home where I feel relatively safe, I don't know how I'm going to manage in an environment I don't know. Anyone dealt with anything similar, or have some advice?

Take many comfort items. A blanket, pillow, stuffie, etc. Its insane how many comfort items I travel with, ALL in my carry on, god forbid my luggage get lost or I end up stranded in an airport.

Oh and don’t forget the TSA friendly stash of comfort food!

For me, the anxiety is at its peak before the trip. Once I am in the moment, I am usually fine. I have even been on business where my ptsd felt like it was completely gone for the duration of the trip. I almost cancelled an impromptu family spring break trip, and am so glad that I went through with it. Family and activity is healthy. Try to focus on the positives and stay grounded as much as you can.

I, too, don’t travel well. The lead-up is difficult but manageable with enough tools and anti-anxiety medicines. The trip itself generally goes well. I tend to “crash” when I get back and try to settle back in. I don’t know that it’s ALL PTSD-related, but it’s very off-putting. I usually plan on taking a “vacation from my vacation” when I get home. There have been times when my apprehension was a warning that I would have been better off paying attention to, so make sure you examine your anxiety to confirm/rule-out causes. Take care of yourself and prepare for the worst - but hope for the best!

Yup traveling puts me on high alert. Even if I am only going an hour down the road. It's nuts. I listen to good music, have the right amount of air conditioning on, and make sure if I am flying I have something good to read. Usually if I can get there without much issue then in a day or so I start to settle in. We have a beach house and I struggle even going there. Once I get home though, it can feel like I need a vacation from my vacation. Spend some time exploring something that will be interesting in the area that might make the trip seem exciting. It can help divert anxiety in to a direction of anticipation. Hang in there!!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've always liked to travel, but after this popping up...the last 3 months there's not much left I feel comfortable with. I'm going to try and be prepared with stuff you all talked about and try not to melt down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back