• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Traveler by heart; homebody by force of Covid: A thread for Would Be Travelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

MyPTSD Pro
I retired. My car is my MOST safe place in the whole world..... and I'm at one with nature with my photography.....such clear vision, uplifted mood, and almost 0 stress....I'm having a longing for that feeling which I only get when I travel. The longer I stay home, the squirrlier I get and the more my memory is slipping because I'm seriously slacking in the communication with others, motivation, and planning for trips to visit folks I know and trust. I don't even have photos to submit to this club I'm not attending......LOL......so....needing help understanding RVing. Should I take the plunge? Experiences with RVing would help a lot....

This past summer, I got an inexpensive kayak and a launch to satisfy my summer distance exercise need. I always felt better after a good kayak run. I really need to find a way to travel. I considered an RV pulled by a truck. I scrapped the idea....single gal traveling alone. But I did it in a car......but an RV? I can afford it, seems safe enough, can see the States in the spring and do my photography....when Covid numbers are predicted to go down. I journeyed (meditated) and internally got the message to buy an RV and quit stalling. Anybody else out there coming up with creative ways to travel during these Covid times? Anyone gotten an RV, and know about RVs? I don't know squat.

If your heart says 'do it', then start learning about RV's and making plans. Life is too short to not follow our hearts desires. If you have the money to do this great adventure, then hit the road and share your adventures with us. I can live vicariously thru you!!!

Hope you get some replies that help

I entered the RV world a few years ago, and the one thing I can suggest is would be to get one that fits the tow capacity of your truck. It is good to have one that you can park and still have the freedom to go around the area you are parked to see the sites that you want. You might want to rent one for a trial to see if it is something that is a good fit for you before taking the purchasing plunge.

My daughter is a travel nurse and uses her camper to live in as she moves from state to state. She is alone and has never felt "unsafe" in the areas that she parks her camper. I have also never felt unsafe, but I traveled with my husband and/or three Newfs so that wasn't an issue. Public campgrounds can be a bit of a gamble in the type of campers you will be around. Private camp grounds or public during the week are pretty tame. It was never an issue of feeling unsafe, but more of an issue of noise. Didn't have people cutting through, but that was because of our dogs.

There are great on line RV groups that are a wealth of information, in regard to maintenance, troubleshooting, places to camp, etc. Just some ideas, but most of all enjoy your travels when you start them.

Are you able to rent an RV or 2 before taking the plunge just to comparison shop?

Where I live campgrounds are open all year and obviously less busy during the cold months.

We take drives north to hike and site see. We have rented hotel rooms on occasion too, just to get out if town for a bit.

We plan on borrowing my sister's pop up camper in the spring and head for the mountains for a week. To hike and kayak. 😃

Last edited:
Are you able to rent an RV or 2 before taking the plunge just to comparison shop?

Where I live campgrounds are open all year and obviously less busy during the cold months.

We take drives north to hike and site see. We have rented hotel rooms on occasion too, just to get out if town for a bit.

We plan on borrowing my sister's pop up camper in the spring and head for the mountains for a week. To hike and kayak. 😃
A lady at the bank gave me her info about where to rent an RV....she even rents hers out through a company. I guess she gets her payments partially paid for this way.
But that's a great idea! Thanks.

I entered the RV world a few years ago, and the one thing I can suggest is would be to get one that fits the tow capacity of your truck. It is good to have one that you can park and still have the freedom to go around the area you are parked to see the sites that you want. You might want to rent one for a trial to see if it is something that is a good fit for you before taking the purchasing plunge.

My daughter is a travel nurse and uses her camper to live in as she moves from state to state. She is alone and has never felt "unsafe" in the areas that she parks her camper. I have also never felt unsafe, but I traveled with my husband and/or three Newfs so that wasn't an issue. Public campgrounds can be a bit of a gamble in the type of campers you will be around. Private camp grounds or public during the week are pretty tame. It was never an issue of feeling unsafe, but more of an issue of noise. Didn't have people cutting through, but that was because of our dogs.

There are great on line RV groups that are a wealth of information, in regard to maintenance, troubleshooting, places to camp, etc. Just some ideas, but most of all enjoy your travels when you start them.
I'll check out the RV groups.....solid idea, thanks!

The annual migration of the Great American Land Whale!!! 🤩

I have got a seeeeerious hard-on for the new Airstream Touring Coaches. // IE The Mercedes Sprinter Van with the back turned into living space.

When the best of motor homes & POVs have a baby? It’s a touring coach.

Although the price on those suckers (+150k) just makes me want to buy the 40k Mercedes and do up the back myself. Preeeeetty sure I could build one helluva living space for a lot less than a hundred grand. Or, to be more accurate, I could twist the arm of some boat builders I know to do it for me. As they’re used to tight spaces & when weight distribution ...matters. Big time matters. All I really DESIRE in a rolling castle, is a tankless water heater shower (Airstream has that in their top shelf touring coach, and several of their silver bullets, so I already know it can be done!) & a bed.

Because without a shower? I might as well just throw a sleeping bag in the back of a LandRover or Subaru Outback. <<< This is the only reason I’d but a Not-Jeep = mo’ comfy sleep.

I'm looking at trading my car for a Toyota Takoma.....looks like they can handle the weight capacity.....and a fiberglass RV exterior which is lighter weight around 3000 lbs.
The annual migration of the Great American Land Whale!!! 🤩

I have got a seeeeerious hard-on for the new Airstream Touring Coaches. // IE The Mercedes Sprinter Van with the back turned into living space.

When the best of motor homes & POVs have a baby? It’s a touring coach.

Although the price on those suckers (+150k) just makes me want to buy the 40k Mercedes and do up the back myself. Preeeeetty sure I could build one helluva living space for a lot less than a hundred grand. Or, to be more accurate, I could twist the arm of some boat builders I know to do it for me. As they’re used to tight spaces & when weight distribution ...matters. Big time matters. All I really DESIRE in a rolling castle, is a tankless water heater shower (Airstream has that in their top shelf touring coach, and several of their silver bullets, so I already know it can be done!) & a bed.

Because without a shower? I might as well just throw a sleeping bag in the back of a LandRover or Subaru Outback. <<< This is the only reason I’d but a Not-Jeep = mo’ comfy sleep.
There are pull behind Flagstaff Pro...RVs that are fiberglass and lower weight all round......up to 20 ft that have it all.....for around 20 grand and if you add on......well, then for a pull behind it can be luxurious. I did look at the Mercedes revamped that someone sent me on a website to check out.......it had over 100,000 miles on it. Yeah, I don't need to pay for a luxury place......Just nice and comfy. I need the potty........and a shower.....and the wife/wifi booster ......because I write when I travel.....and I need heat when it's cold. But I don't want an all in one.....a pull behind is much better-if you need a loaf of bread, you don't have to pack up your all in one RV to run to the campstore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back