triggered at work

hope555

New Here
i work at trader joe’s and idk maybes it’s the cedar wood or the fact that it’s in a neighborhood that’s filled with a bunch of older white men i get triggered i also get triggered around little kids idk why. but also just too many f*cking triggers some days are better then other. it’s just you see so many different people it’s overwhelming. but for those who work and get easily triggered , what helps !? if anything LMFAO

DharmaGirl

MyPTSD Pro
I have found that grounding myself helps. Are you in therapy? Your therapist can teach you lots of grounding techniques. Also, meditation when you are not triggered. It helps dampen the overall stress response. Are you on any medications?

I thought LMFAO meant laughing my f'n ass off. I'm older so I don't think I have that right. Welcome to the forums, hope to see you around.

The good news is that since you're triggered so frequently, you can use this as an extreme form of exposure therapy. If you can really good at grounding when you get triggered through repetition, you may be able to mostly get over these triggers sooner rather than later.

Strange women used to trigger me, and now they rarely do. So it's possible.

hope555

New Here
I have found that grounding myself helps. Are you in therapy? Your therapist can teach you lots of grounding techniques. Also, meditation when you are not triggered. It helps dampen the overall stress response. Are you on any medications?

I thought LMFAO meant laughing my f'n ass off. I'm older so I don't think I have that right. Welcome to the forums, hope to see you around.
oh yeah i said LMFAO in the meaning that it’s funny because i think that nothing can help fix the triggered feeling it would simply just be never going to work there again ... and i know that’s not like the right or realistic choice but it’s just what i want cuz i don’t want to have to feel the anxiety that i do there. i don’t have a therapist and i’m not on medication either

DharmaGirl

MyPTSD Pro
oh yeah i said LMFAO in the meaning that it’s funny because i think that nothing can help fix the triggered feeling
I'm so sorry you feel this way. I know it sucks. I was a nurse in the hospital and would get triggered at work badly too. I was seeing a therapist and he taught me several ways of dealing with the triggers. I also found the DBT Workbook helpful for learning grounding. It is how you feel right now, and I respect your feelings. You can learn to manage triggers though. It's not hopeless. Hugs if you accept them.

enough

MyPTSD Pro
If you made it today you can make it tomorrow too. This isn't tough love or me being harsh, it is a fact.
If I had left work because i was triggered i would have just had to go elsewhere and work while triggered there. I see it as standing my ground, I will not be budged by a workplace that is a constant source of stress, if i did it today I can do it tomorrow
I guess thats exposure therapy, it is definitely exposure, make it a positive, you can do this and you know it, you did it yesterday didn't you? Go for it and win again!