1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triggered during exam and had to leave

Discussion in 'Employment, Education & Disability' started by wraith, Jun 14, 2018.

1. wraith

wraith Guest

This literally all happened today and I don't know how to feel about it?

Basically I was suffering from c-ptsd for a long time and only got help and medication when my family realised how bad it was. I was mostly abused by my teachers at a young age so that's were it stemmed from. School and exams? A mine field of triggers for me.

Just barely made it through my GCSEs, even tho I'm quite smart, abuse n illness made it hard. Skip four years and I'm doing my third level in pastry and today was my exam.

Had a breakdown and had to leave. Head chef didn't look impressed. (I managed to go through the other two courses with him without telling him abt my c-ptsd).

Now I'm just trying to pick up pieces and will email him about the situation, but I don't know what to say? Hey, I'm not a dumbass can I get another go at the exam??

I'm thinking about asking my therapist to write a letter just explaining what's wrong, but honestly I have no clue...

Any suggestions?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. EveHarrington

EveHarrington _______ in progress. Premium Member

Can you share what country you are in? Accommodation regulations can vary from country to country.

4. wraith

wraith Guest

ya! i live in london

5. Chris-duck

Chris-duck Active Member

I'm in Scotland (I assume you're in England cos GCSEs) and it still might be different because I did nursing. But I had shite attendance in second year and everyone was really understanding once I explained straight up why things were shit and what I'd do to fix it. If it is affecting your work shit enough for other people to notice it's probably time to be straight up about at least some of the truth like "I'm having issues with my health, this is what's been happening and this is how it won't keep being an issue".

Sietz and blackemerald1 like this.
  6. wraith

wraith Guest

The thing it, it was a one day per week course which I managed to go pretty regularly to because it was once a week. Honestly there was no reason for my head chef to be worried. It was low maintenance enough for me to manage. Plus they were all paid courses so if I missed any lessons then it was my loss.

Maybe it's time to be honest.

7. Nessa7

Nessa7 Well-Known Member Donated

I think it would be a good idea to tell your therapist so that she can be prepared to provide you with proof of your illness.

8. blackemerald1

blackemerald1 I'm a VIP Premium Member

Yes if it was your PTSD that adversely effected you during this examination...I agree with^^^.

Why did it hit you so hard today during this examination and not in others? Your therapist and examiner may want to understand this.

Sietz likes this.
Show Sidebar