• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Triggered while doing basic things at Work

I've been working this new job for a few months now. I have recurring issues of getting triggered when a task requires more energy or effort. Simple tasks I breeze through, but as soon as there's a bit of ambiguity or I'm unsure, I can't think straight, and then I get frustrated that I can't. Sometimes I start dissociating while doing a task and fall asleep, which isn't good since I have to keep track of the time I spend on tasks.

I know it's because of my childhood trauma of getting hit if I didn't respond fast enough or didn't know something. I try remembering that and being gentle with myself. I've heard that dissociation might be about stuck feelings. I just fall asleep when I try to stay still and feel my feelings.

My question is: what techniques can help with the dissociation and triggering? I'm trying to incorporate things I read in psych books. They helped with some things, but I'm stuck in this aspect.

what techniques can help with the dissociation and triggering?
The experience is driven by our brain highjacking everything because it’s re-experiencing something in the past, and trying to protect you from that.

So, anything that can bring your brain back to here and now, and reminding it that here and now is safe, can be helpful. Often referred to as Grounding techniques - there are some really prescriptive ones that you can practice (naming 5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear, etc).

But you can also get creative. Things that highjack your senses into coming right back to the present. You can even put together a grounding kit, which is things you take with you that you can pull out whenever you need to bring yourself back to the moment.

Grounding is a skill, that gets better with practice. So try not to feel defeated if it doesn’t seem very effective the first time. Because you’ll get better and better with practice.

In addition to grounding, I would take some martial arts courses. So you KNOW, as you ground yourself out in the present, that if anyone hits you? Or… tries… to hit you? That you can either avoid it, or knock THEM flat.

One of those 2 birds, 1 stone, thing. As it underscores that you are NOT a child. But a very capable adult.

I've heard that dissociation might be about stuck feelings. I just fall asleep when I try to stay still and feel my feelings.
FWIW, I think this is bullshit.. ESPECIALLY if my feelings are from 20 years ago (IE completely wrong).

In addition to grounding, I would take some martial arts courses. So you KNOW, as you ground yourself out in the present, that if anyone hits you? Or… tries… to hit you? That you can either avoid it, or knock THEM flat.

One of those 2 birds, 1 stone, thing. As it underscores that you are NOT a child. But a very capable adult.

FWIW, I think this is bullshit.. ESPECIALLY if my feelings are from 20 years ago (IE completely wrong).
O, man. I tried boxing when my gym offered it for a month a few years ago. It brought out such feelings of anger and frustration. It was really surprising and overwhelming back then. But I wonder if I could handle it now.

It did really help me to realize that I’m not a child and that my family can’t hit me anymore. It made interacting with them easier. I don’t dissociate as much around them and I’m not as scared of them anymore and what they might think of me. I’ll try thinking that the next time I dissociate.

Thank you for your suggestions! I’ll look into martial arts. I did want to take a Krav Maga class to learn how to defend myself before so I’ll look into it.

I agree with the suggestion of grounding items. I keep a bright green Hot Wheels car and a live bushy plant on my desk. When I start to dissociate I pick up the toy car and roll it around in my hand, spin the wheels, roll it along my desk. Then I move to the plant, feel the leaves, give it a good sniff, pick off any dead leaves, give it a drink, change its position, etc. It does help to regain some of the focus to complete tasks, maybe you could incorporate a few gadgets at your desk and see if they help!

I agree with the suggestion of grounding items. I keep a bright green Hot Wheels car and a live bushy plant on my desk. When I start to dissociate I pick up the toy car and roll it around in my hand, spin the wheels, roll it along my desk. Then I move to the plant, feel the leaves, give it a good sniff, pick off any dead leaves, give it a drink, change its position, etc. It does help to regain some of the focus to complete tasks, maybe you could incorporate a few gadgets at your desk and see if they help!
I tried this today. I used my little brother’s fidget spinner and it totally helped. I was able to work while dissociating less than. I still get a bit frustrated if the task takes more energy but at least I can get through it with less mistakes now. Thank you!

Back