• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Trying therapy again. What questions should I ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

12birds

Not Active
Hi, folks. I have not had any therapy since December, which was very surface level because it was through my uni's student services.

I stopped seeing my regular T a while ago. When I started I was just looking for any kind of help. I didn't go in with specific questions and, being 19 at the time, did not screen him. Now I'm looking into therapy again (like, I found an office I'm interested in and will call this week) and I'm lost.

I know I need someone trauma informed, but how would I ask about that? I struggle to communicate my exact needs, so should I go armed with a list?

Do I need to know exactly what I want out of therapy? This one is tough, because I know it's going to be a long haul. I need a place to talk. I also need help managing both ptsd and non-ptsd stuff.

What are other important things to consider or ask during an initial appointment?

Almost exactly what you said. Copy, paste, print.

They will know exactly what a trauma therapist is and whether they have one or not. No confusion there. Mention PTSD and they will know you are in it for a long haul. Last office I went to, I filled out a bunch of paperwork and they asked me simple questions to get a better picture of what I would want or needed. This if you are talking about your first visit to the office to figure out who you want as a therapist. You can usually choose from type and gender if relevant.

If you are talking about your first trauma therapist appointment or session, if there is something you feel you need to ask you would know. So it’s just a matter of finding the words to do so. In the first session, I wouldn’t put focus on asking questions anyway. They will be asking you questions to build a better picture of you.

I second what Gamereign said. When I found my therapist, ages ago, I think on the phone I said something to the effect of “I believe I have ptsd. Do you have experience with that?” I was talking to the potential therapist so the wording would be a tad different talking to an office worker. If you had an idea of a type of therapy you would prefer (or prefer to avoid) you could ask if they can accommodate that as well. Like I knew I didn’t want EMDR so I made sure there were other options the therapist was trained in that could be used to treat me.

The first appointment they ask a lot of questions about your past, social history, stuff like that.

You're right, PirateLady, the first appointment they ask a lot of questions about your past, symptoms, and more. It's what they call an intake assessment. Part of why they do this is so they can diagnose you.

Thanks all! I know what to expect from intake, having seen someone previously. I also have been diagnosed. It's just important to me to make sure I'm satisfied with the person on the other end and their approach. After reading through suggestions and now typing this reply, I think I know how I want to move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back