Sufferer Trying to get better - Would love to connect to anyone with experience with cults

ezrats

New Here
Hi- I just came across this website looking for some community with other people who have PTSD. I've dealt with PTSD for a lot of my life due to my childhood, but had another acute traumatic event happen a year and a half ago involving a cult that pushed me off the deep end and ruined all the progress I had made. I deal with dissociation to the point of being diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder, along with super annoying dissociative seizures, flashbacks, and insomnia. I've been in intensive therapy for 8 years now, and while I've gotten a lot better, I still feel fundamentally alone in the world- I don't know anyone else who is dealing with this in college.

I would love to connect with anyone who would like to- especially if you have experience with cults, because it was such a specific experience and there's not really anyone I can talk to about it who "get it" besides my therapist.

Hi- I just came across this website looking for some community with other people who have PTSD. I've dealt with PTSD for a lot of my life due to my childhood, but had another acute traumatic event happen a year and a half ago involving a cult that pushed me off the deep end and ruined all the progress I had made. I deal with dissociation to the point of being diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder, along with super annoying dissociative seizures, flashbacks, and insomnia. I've been in intensive therapy for 8 years now, and while I've gotten a lot better, I still feel fundamentally alone in the world- I don't know anyone else who is dealing with this in college.

I would love to connect with anyone who would like to- especially if you have experience with cults, because it was such a specific experience and there's not really anyone I can talk to about it who "get it" besides my therapist.
Hello there,

Welcome to myptsd.com! I'm glad you found our website and I'm here to offer support and understanding. Dealing with PTSD and CPTSD can feel incredibly isolating, especially when others around us don't fully understand what we're going through. But you've come to the right place to find a community of individuals who can relate and offer support.

I'm sorry to hear about the traumatic events you've experienced, both in your childhood and with the cult. It's understandable that these experiences have had a significant impact on your life. However, it's encouraging to hear that you've been in therapy for eight years and have made progress. Remember, progress is not always linear, and setbacks can happen, but each step forward counts.

You mentioned feeling fundamentally alone in the world, and I want you to know that you're not alone on this journey. Connecting with others who have similar experiences can be both validating and healing. Many members of our community understand what it's like to deal with dissociation, flashbacks, and insomnia. They can relate to the challenges you're facing and offer support, often based on their own personal experiences.

While I can't guarantee that there will be someone specifically experienced with cults, there are members on myptsd.com who have gone through various unique and specific experiences. The beauty of this community is that you can find understanding and empathy from people who may have, in some way, experienced something similar – even if it's not the exact same situation.

Feel free to navigate our forums and connect with those who share your journey. Additionally, don't hesitate to share your story and experiences. Sometimes, simply talking about our traumas can be cathartic and help in the healing process. It's also worth noting that while peer support is helpful, professional help is essential. If you feel you need additional support or guidance, I encourage you to reach out to your therapist or seek professional assistance.

On myptsd.com, you'll find forums dedicated to various topics related to PTSD and CPTSD, so you can find specific spaces where you can share about your experiences and connect with those who can relate. Remember, our community is here for you, ready to listen and offer support.

Please take a moment to review our forum rules and guidelines to ensure a safe and respectful community space. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to reach out. You're not alone, and I'm glad you've joined our community.

Warm regards,
Riley Jones

hello ezrats. congratulations on having found the community you were looking for. i, personally, am too people phobic to have any cult experience, but i can certainly relate to the symptoms it has generated. seems to me that many, many ptsd symptoms translate between sufferers, regardless of the source of the ptsd. it definitely helps to have a safe place to vent and sort among people who know wtf i'm talking about.

for what it's worth
over the course of my long recovery, i have suffered more than one setback, but my 20-20 hindsight glasses don't believe i was ever setback to square one. seeds from the earlier rounds continued to germinate. the initial shock of dx'es, etc., wasn't as harsh. radical notions that were too far out to embrace suddenly made sense. setbacks can be harsh, but ultimately lead to a deeper healing than i would have experienced without the review.

Dr.steven Hassan - freedom of mind. He was in the monies. He helped me understand undue influence coercive control spiritual trauma. After listening to him and reading his work nothing looked the same.

I was never in a cult, but I was indoctrinated into an armed group as a child. They used very similar brainwashing techniques that I have since learned are common in cults. It absolutely can be isolating to feel that you are the only one in the room with "your experiences." Most especially if your abuse involved elements of dehumanization and degradation.

To come out of it and feel that you are fundamentally divorced from your fellow man; this is almost a type of reinforcement of said philosophy. But, the truth is, you do have a lot more in common with others than you are different. My advice, is to try to look for the ways that you are the same as others. "They could never understand someone getting shot in the head!" - "OK, well, we both like Tim Robinson and listen to Ratking."

I found that to be the first step toward feeling like I was a valid member of my community. I have also got a Lets Talk thread directly dealing with this subject (I contextualize using my own experiences, but my intention was for everyone to post about themselves - and within are some case studies on brainwashing/indoctrination/reeducation) if you would like to speak more in-depth on the matter. Or of course, start your own thread or post in a Trauma Diary.

Whilst doing research into this subject I read two textbooks: The Manipulated Mind and Brainwashing: The Science of Thought Control (as well as the overall Practical Aspects of Criminal Forensic Investigation and the Handbook of PTSD - definitely some keystone books, there). I found them to be quite assistive in understanding the mechanisms behind my behavior - and theirs.

Either way, welcome. 👋

My experience was with a mainstream religion that somehow flies along unfettered by the way they behaved during the holocaust and apolgized for it, unscathed by the way they spawn other cults from within their ranks, how they seperate races in modern america, on and on, they get away with it by being so plain oatmeal on the surface that their inner workings go unnoticed. i know them for their worst, they brainwash and lull their members into complacently doing the work of finding more followers and keeping their children in the church using all the classic methods of any cult. Tithe has to come from somewhere, new members arent exactly lining up outside these days.
I just don't care anymore, I hate them and they have no love to give so we are done, so it goes.
But they arent considered to be a cult and you have likely heard of them and probably accept them as just another church.
Cults come in many forms, it's the ones with big buildings and paved parking lots full of nice cars that scare me the most.

welcome to the best place I have found for people that get it, no matter how we got here we are all on this same bus, hope you find what you need

You may want to look into Recovering From Religion. You can call a counselor knowledgeable about various religious traumas. In addition they have Zoom group therapy if there are no meetings near you. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back