Trying to get off geodon...again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangelongtrip

MyPTSD Pro
I've posted here before about trying (and failing) to get off Geodon this spring. I was able to get off of antidepressants last year, and was hoping this year I could get off of geodon. I'm on 80mg at night and 20mg in the morning. I was put on them before my psych knew I had PTSD. She was like welp, bipolar because not sleeping (to avoid nightmares and because my anxiety was so bad) and slapped me first on gabapentin and lamictal, which caused me to pass out and collapse, and I had a rash and an allergic reaction to them. She finally put me on geodon and I suppose it has helped some but it's also caused tremendous weight gain and I've started to have really bad GI and indigestion problems in the last year or so (I've been on it since 2016, so it could be aggravated by stress, but I worry about the long term effects of being on it for extended periods of time). Both my psych and my therapist think I should get off of it, otherwise I wouldn't be so sure. I also have a cannabis card, and have found that that has helped tremendously with physical fibromyalgia pain/fibro fog, depression, anxiety, insomnia, and IBS. Only thing it doesn't help with is tachycardia, but I'm not so sure that's not linked with anxiety and inflammation in my body (that's a story for another day lol). Sativa makes it worse, but indica has helped in the past. T is on board with it, psych is impressed but obviously can't recommend it with the gray legal area with all that.

I go in and talk to my psych this week. Last time I went down 20mg in the morning and he said next time we can try going down 20mg at night, so down to 60mg. I'm nervous and excited all at once. I feel like most of what geodon did was sedate me, which isn't too much different than what cannabis does, but a bit...gentler haha. And no withdrawals where I feel like I'm losing my mind! I already have limited energy throughout the day, so I'm hoping this will be a good thing. I feel confident I have the coping mechanisms, but know what it's like when you're coming off of meds, everything is thrown in the trash lol. I'm hoping I can keep this thread as a place to share coming off of it, or if anyone has any experience with this medication. I don't think it was very common when I posted about it last time, and not at this dose. Thanks!

Strangelongtrip

MyPTSD Pro
I went down one dose last Thursday and have had only a slight increase in anxiety, but I dealt with it with positive coping skills and have had no other side effects! I actually feel better than I did on the higher dose woohoo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.