• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Tv shows/commercials that are triggering/inappropriate

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenDoll

MyPTSD Pro
I cringe so much when I see a commercial or a tv show that I feel isn't appropriate. I don't feel like naming the exact ones. I wish there were tighter regulations concerning what I see sometimes. I change the channel because I don't like the content, the behavior I'm seeing or I think it's not appropropriate. I am talking about mainstream tv. Does anyone feel like this?

I mean things that I think are not appropropriate for viewers or anyone in a tv show or lack of clothing, ect....behaviors...things I do not find appropriate.

Last edited:
If you were to put together a list of everyone’s triggers and use that as the guideline for what can be broadcast? You realize there would be no TV at all, right? Because everyone has different triggers. There’s not a single “safe” topic, scene, noun/verb/adjective on the planet.

Personally, I didn’t watch TV almost at all for about 7 years. Not by design, I was simply busy/ largely abroad, and when I came back none of it parsed, anymore. I didn’t know who any of the actors were, or what the big shows/stories were on about, as I was always coming back midseason. And I wasn’t going to be there long enough to find out. During those years it was rare that I’d be In the states for longer than 2-3 weeks. The very first “show” I watched? Was after my son was born. I’d been stateside for a couple years at that point, but I had a new baby, was working, and in school. TV was the last thing on my mind. Then there was a big potluck once a week at a mate’s house and we’d watch LOST. That was actually kind of fun, first time I’d had fun with TV in years, so I went out and rented a couple DVD box sets of some other shows. And spent the next 2 years “catching up” on pop culture. Which is when TV lost me forever. No commercials + stop/pause/FF/RW? Made having to be anywhere at a certain time, and having the story interrupted by people screaming at me to buy their product? An intolerable prospect. So the last time I had regular/mainstream TV? 1996. Rented things from 05/06, and I’ve been streaming ever since. I’m still around it, to some degree, enough to know I still don’t like the delivery system... no matter how much the networks try and tweak it to make it more like streaming.

So, as far as “anyone else like this” in being a control freak about what they watch? Absolutely. For a long long time.

As far as “appropriate” content? Nah. Between 500+ channels, OnDemand/TiVo/similar for those 500+ channels, rentals, & streaming... its entirely at user discretion what they want to watch, and how. No one else (networks, etc.) needs to decide for me what’s appropriate for me to watch, I get to decide that my own self.

I am talking about what I truly think is inappropriate-seeing behaviors or if I think there is an inappropriate outfit, correlations. I should have stated that in my first post. I reiterate. That is what I mean. I think the FCC needs tighter rules and regulations/higher standards:my thoughts.

Last edited:
I’m fairly certain I understood your original question... I most likely just have a different view on censorship and the sharing of ideas & information, than you do. Maybe not, there’s some Q’s below that may illustrate better.
I am talking about what I truly think is inappropriate-seeing behaviors or if I think there is an inappropriate outfit, correlations. I should have stated that in my first post. I reiterate. That is what I mean. I think the FCC needs tighter rules and regulations/higher standards:my thoughts.
What does that, mean, though? What do you view as inappropriate/what standard do you think should be used? (For example, LDS Modesty vs Islamic Modesty, although both of those have fairly wide spectrums in and of themselves they’re different enough to ballpark different standards. Islam has far higher standards of dress than LDS, which has far higher standards than the law of the land). So whose standards does one apply? The highest standards available? Something middling? If so, how does one determine whose standards are correct for everyone else?

Similarly... what’s an inappropriate behavior to show on TV? Anyone breaking the law? Or only certain crimes? (And if so, which crimes are inappropriate?)

And inappropriate for whom? On what topics?

Are fictional stories different than factual or historical accounts? Should censorship apply equally to history, regardless of its inaccuracy?

((Just as a couple examples off the top of my head, it drives me a little bit crazy that most people think Patroclus was Achilles’ cousin, instead of his lover. But early censorship banned outright reference or depiction of homosexuality. So his “cousin” he became in modern tellings :rolleyes: Or another, 1:6 bodies in the US civil war mass graves were women in uniform. Not nurses, doxies, & darlings, nor -for the most part- women in men’s clothing, although there were some they were the minority. But mid century (1950s or thereabouts) women in combat became a taboo topic in the US, and references were struck from both school textbooks, tv, & film. If it weren’t for forensic anthropology & philogical societies attempting to preserve old books -like project Gutenberg- the fact that women fought in our Revolutionary & Civil Wars? Would be completely lost, and most people still don’t know it. Because mid century censors thought it inappropriate.))

Whenever anyone starts talking about appropriate/inappropriate... there’s simply no universal definition of that. Different cultures, governments, religions, families, and individuals all have widely varying standards. So if you’re going to apply any set of standards to “everyone”? That’s something that has to be defined, as my standards might be -and probably are- higher/lower/different than yours.

Last edited:
The local rape services group in my city has some truly horrible radio ads. Screaming, crashing, a woman crying "rape" - incredibly inappropriate, highly triggering for actual rape victims, and probably pretty disturbing even for non-victims. Everyone agrees there's probably a better way to get the message across.

I hear they're going with another advertising firm next time. The current one is not up to the job.

Still not ban-worthy, though.

Even going just with the rape example...

I think portraying it *with* the screaming and trashing and crying and torn tissues, blood and bruises, and people wrecked by it... aka alerting to the fact it's a violent crime and not They didn't like it and whiined about it years after, no big deal - does more service than not.

Personally waay more disturbed by violence portrayed in cutesy wraps and niceties that are unlike reality but shrug. Just my preference.

I thought for a minute on if it would be possible to build an app whereby the user could input certain words to filter content. Then the app would provide a list of titles based on what you wanted to filter out.

But similar to what @Friday said....you might end up with no options if you input all your triggers.
And even just one of mine....the sound of tires on gravel lol
I’d miss out on a ton of great movies and never learn to manage that trigger.

It was kinda a neat idea for a min.

Navigating media in all its forms can be a nightmare with ptsd. Sometimes the classification information helps me steer clear of inappropriate content when I'm in a bad headspace. Be good to have something similar on the internet sometimes!

Triggers can come in all sorts of forms, and with different reactions. Even when I think I know myself, ptsd has a way of throwing new hurdles out at me.

A really difficult one for me is actually books - I respond to fiction very differently to other forms of media, and often completely out of the blue I find myself responding to things that I wouldn't have expected to be an issue, or things that would have been fine on another medium (tv I can take a whole lot that I can't handle in music or books).

The thing to remember is that if I'm responding to a trigger, I'm responding to a past problem as if it were happening now. And it's not.

It also means that whereas I might perceive myself as having a better awareness of certain things, like how evil people can be, that doesn't mean I'm a better judge of how to protect others from those things. To the contrary, if it were left to me to censor out certain things, because I have personal experience with how dangerous those things can be, I would do a crapshoot job of keeping everyone else safe. Because ptsd has my subjectivity and objectivity totally screwed up.

Ptsd-brain has me convinced that I know what goes bump in the night, and that I'd be a superwoman at keeping everyone else safe if it were my call. That's the lie of the mental illness - and the best indicator that my judgement is off? Is to simply look at my life, and see just how screwed up my ptsd-brain is actually inhibiting my life, rather than keeping me 'safer'.

I'm not enlightened - I have ptsd.

Yeah one thing I hate is casual depictions of assault, which occur in basically any romantic story line. Kissing without warning, grabbing someone’s arm when they try to leave, even subordinates being made to be the villain for superiors preying on them (looking at you, Grey’s Anatomy). There was a lot of tv I couldn’t watch for a long time because it made me sick. I thought about young children watching and learning that sex and love always involves assault. I’d say there’s a lot there that shouldn’t be on tv for moral reasons, but I’m not so sure it would be easy to make a legal ban. I definitely understand your feeling and frustration though. There’s a lot of garbage out there and it would be nice if it weren’t so garbagey. I take solace in the few good shows.

Imo what I remem of Grey's Anatomy, a coupla eps had sex assault in medical profession / while working, it wasn't even subtle / said not an assault.

Just don't remember if the show dealt with it / stopped watching by then as it was too close.

Suuuuuper random.....and might be better off in the thread on 'stupidest triggers ever'
Commercial for "Dispatches from Everywhere" - some random dude staring intensely right at you against an orange backdrop for about 8 seconds.

My brain slid out my ear and scuttled across the floor.
I'm sure it's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back