• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Twitches and spasms - tic disorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nic, where is your calcium and magnesium intake at?

Remember that under stress, our bodies process nutrients differently. Medications block the uptake of some nutrients and minerals. And when we feel poorly, we tend not to eat well anyway.

We can't get the nutrients we need from our food. I mean, you'd have to eat very well, religiously, every day.

The first thing I would suggest trying is supplemental calcium and magnesium. Women should be taking at least 1000 mg of calcium a day (just for osteoporosis) ... taking ~500 mg of magnesium with it will assist in more complete uptake of the calcium.

Calcium and magnesium play a CRITICAL role in the nervous system as well as in how muscles function. Repetitive but temporary (2-3 minutes maybe) twitching of one muscle is a sign of a calcium deficiency (among other things). The nice thing is that taking calcium can't hurt you, and it very likely may help you in many ways, not just with the twitching.

For example, since starting Wellbutrin 5 weeks ago, I have been dealing with BAD muscle spasms, and my muscles have been very sensitive to injury. Any hint of straining a muscle just in routine exertion, and I would be crippled up in pain for 3-4 days! :\ And the pain, holy shit!! it was awful. A normal 2/10 "sore muscle" would spasm and cramp and scream as a 6 out of 10... it was God-awful. I talked to my doctor about it and his solution was to give me 600 mg neurontin 2x/day and "keep taking NSAIDs" ... great, I already knew that hardly touched it. Well, I did some thinking and realized that I hadn't taken calcium or magnesium in a coon's age, and I remembered that magnesium is helpful for lowering blood pressure and stopping muscle spasming (remember it's what they give women to stop premature labor!) ... so I figured, what the hell?? Well, it took only 1 - 600 mg calcium pill and 1 - 250 mg magnesium tablet, and my pain was down by easily 80%. Within a week, I was basically pain free. Today, 2 weeks later, all those pain symptoms and muscle spasming is GONE. To achieve this level of relief, I am taking 2 calcium pills a day (a total of 1260 mg/day) and 2 magnesium pills a day (a total of 500 mg/day). These are well within safe ranges.

I realize my story is anecdotal :) but I also realize that most women do not get enough calcium. We would have to drink gallons of milk and eat a ton of cheese etc. to get the equivalent of 1000 mg of calcium a day. Taking 2 pills is so much easier. :) And it is very good for your bones anyway. It's just that it might also have a very nice impact on your muscles. I have also read reports that it can help with mood and sleep as well. (Incidentally, the magnesium has also eliminated all traces of Wellbutrin-caused intestinal irregularity, thank God!! - I've never loved a pill so much, LOL!!!) Your mileage will vary, of course.

I take Citracal + Vitamin D, a bottle of 180 caplets is like $13 at Walmart. Money well spent, and a lot cheaper than a broken leg, ha ha. :)

:) Bailey

I get the eyelid twitch/spasm, too. I wondered if there was a connection. I try to stay very relaxed and calm and for the most part, stay home, check out a few joke sites, chat rooms and then watch tv before going to bed. Very little stress here. But still, am aware of my left eyelid twitching for no apparent reason. It's not at all painful as much as annoyance and I wonder if it would be visible to someone else. I can't figure it out.

pseudo seizures/spasms

I am wondering if anyone else out there in ptsd land is suffering with or has suffered pseudo seizures? I am going through a really difficult time at the moment and would appreciate ANYONE who can understand and chat with me. For those who don't know, a pseudo seizure is like an epileptic seizure/fit without having epilepsy.

sheree71--

I hope you have told your doctor about these; they can be very dangerous. Some medications, such as (I think) Wellbutrin, may cause seizures.

I am wondering if anyone else out there in ptsd land is suffering with or has suffered pseudo seizures? I am going through a really difficult time at the moment and would appreciate ANYONE who can understand and chat with me. For those who don't know, a pseudo seizure is like an epileptic seizure/fit without having epilepsy.
sheree71
Does it happen when you lay down to rest? When I lay down, trying to relax or sleep. It seems I am in between sleep and being awake and my body starts to feel like it is stiffening or something and then this burst of pain? or something goes through my body. The last time it happened I felt it down to my ankles and wrists and then I had a headache and the pain kind of stayed and I felt nauseous.
This has been going on for about 2 years.:dontknow:

hjpalm

Yes it does happen when I relax, but it can happen any time. I do get a weird headache but mine is more my whole body shaking and uncontrollable muscle movements. I've been told it's an anxiety thing, but who knows. This has been going on in one shape or another for 4 years now.

I'm going in to have blood tests (regular) in the morning and I am going to try to pin the doc down about seeing a neurologist and maybe an orthopedist (have a broken vertebrae, maybe that is it?) I just don't feel right, but that could also be part of getting off celexa.
F**k, I dunno.

i get the twitches quite often but then again i take a prescription anti-psychotic which also has these as listed side effects.

Convulsions (which is what it sounds like you are experiencing sheree, as you are conscious throughout the episodes?) are also a side-effect of RLS medications. (Restless Leg Syndrome)

Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back