• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Assault Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare and transport companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justmehere

Sponsor
I have to use rideshares and other transportation companies that are more sketchy than already sketchy cabs. I know a couple of local rideshare drivers around here that are safe and use them whenever I need to use it. I have good relationships with them. But now health insurance and work are paying for transport, and it's not the folks I know. It's not even drivers and companies based here in my city.

So. I have to figure out my safety plan so I can still take the trip. I have been through a mild traumatic incident in such a situation before, but was able to get out of it because I talked the perp down. The person tried to assault me.

SO. Needless to say, I'm spooked and TRUST NO ONE. Suggestions on a safety plan?

First of all, that is no "mild" trauma. Assault is assault, even when only threatened :hug:

I don't know if something similar exists in the States and how appropriate it would be during a ride share, but in my country we have phone numbers you can call when for example walking home at night and give the impression you're actually on the phone with friends/family/... which is to deter potential attackers.

I'm not comfortable with any ride shares, either, so I'm actually also open to suggestions in case I ever need any.

Yeah we have some spots here with service like that. I have a cool app called Lifeline. I can set it so that if my thumb comes off my phone, it gives 7 seconds to type in a code and if I don’t, it alerts police to my location.

Not that helpful in a car, but great in a lot of other situations. It can also be set to an alarm mode and so that people you choose will be asked to check on you as other options.

My friend has a lipstick sized taser... and I’m kind of debating that route.

I'm so sorry about this and I wish all women who had to put themselves in situations like this could carry a handgun.

Probably sounds severe but I hate thinking about women having to be vulnerable like that. Especially with the sketchy drivers. It's getting worse too. It wasn't safe twenty years ago and it's really not safe now.

I'm sorry you guys have to deal with this. : (

Guys have to deal with it too. One guy died not long ago being shot by an Uber driver who claimed self defense.

I miss cabbies! Ugh. Never thought I’d say that. They go through greater scrutiny.

I could conceal carry a handgun, but having been in dangerous situations here and abroad, I already know how I respond, and a gun wouldn’t do much good and potentially would be a weapon they use against me. I’m not trained to shoot and if I am going to pull a gun for self defense I think I better be well practiced. I’m not.

Just had a weird intrusive memory of being trapped with a different perp... that memory of him approaching...

The first trip is scheduled tomorrow at 5am. Someone goofed because it was supposed to be a 7:30am pick up. I’m already ready to run. I told them to cancel it. The call center refused. I asked for the name of the driver. Also refused. I’ve decided to not answer the door or respond to texts and just pay for my own longer transport tomorrow. I’m hyperventilating.

I think I’m going to submit an ADA request they use the last standing licensed cab company around here. I don’t even know if that works but I use them enough it doesn’t spook me. It’s a modification in policies and they have contracted with them for other departments and it should just be a few clicks on a screen to use them. The can company said they would charge the same rate as the service they want to use. It won’t cost them more. I don’t think. I can ask.

Is doggo with you when you’re in the car? Do you sit with doggo next to you?

If so, that changes your vulnerability level I’m thinking. It would be a huge risk trying to attack someone with a dog sitting beside them. Large dogs? Bite. Small dogs? Bark really loudly and attract a lot of attention. Those are the types of things that people are generally aware of every time they see someone with a dog.

Even if you know your dog would likely not savage a person attacking you? The driver doesn’t know that.

I was also thinking about doggo. And @Sideways is right, it doesn't matter if he wouldn't actually attack a person or is small. The simple presence of a dog deters a lot of potential attackers - because they don't know. (in the Retriever community we keep saying they'd happily and waggingly help the burglar carry things outside :laugh: - but the burglar doesn't usually know that and those are big dogs with big mouths... even a barking dog can deter a possible home intruder even if it's happy barking)

Maybe train him to bark or fletch teeth on cue?

I'd advise against a hand gun. In states of panic, I wouldn't trust myself even with shooting training. There's so much harm that could be done and the gun potentially being used against me was actually my very first thought upon reading that

Doggo and something makeshift in a handbag/ jacket pocket to calm some nerves (for a given value of calm) that at least you have something should the awful situation arise where you needed it?

A can of deodorant spray or spray paint could be helpful in the close quarters of a car if necessary, and don't carry your current drawbacks of a handgun, plus relatively easy to organise at short notice.

My doggo must look as threatening as a teddy bear. The prior incident happened with my service dog at my feet! She just ducked. She did however refuse to get in that car prior to the whole thing happening... until I adamantly bribed her to get in... wondering why she was being all weird. She knew the guy was no good. I do listen to her much better now.

Personally I would refuse to ride with anybody but a woman but that's just me. I thought you could choose your driver? Or is that outdated?
For Uber and Lyft that I choose locally for myself, yeah, sort of. For the other transports, no. I’ve had a female perps in my life so gender it doesn’t help me feel safer.

But my fav local cabbie is a woman who shared she has PTSD and we find so many things to laugh about when I use her service. I wish I could use that company. I’m asking to be able to do so. They are FBI fingerprint background checked like all cab companies here, above and beyond all the rest of the rideshares and random transport companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back